Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U Minnesota program is a dumpster fire
What the hell is going in Minnesota program...They fired their chief resident, their chairman left to join Brown and demoted from a chair to vice-chair, and their program director left a few years ago to join private practice. I remember when I interviewed there many years ago, they were on a great trajectory with a great infrastructure. I could understand that people move for different reasons but to fire one of your chief residents is completely unacceptable.
Thanks for the public service announcement.
how does a chief resident get fired. Ive never heard of that in other specialties.
It’s unusual, and typically occurs due to some sort of egregious behavioral violation on the part of the resident. I believe a few years back Brown had to terminate a chief resident under those sort of circumstances, where essentially the resident had a fairly flagrant incident of inappropriate conduct, and the institution had no choice but to terminate him, despite the negative connotation within the field associated with doing so, and the fact that he had otherwise been an effective resident.

I tell all my residents to be aware of how their actions and words are perceived. For better or worse, behavior is heavily scrutinized these days, and records are fairly visible in the form of internet activity or archives. Be cognizant of how ur actions are perceived, and the lens by which ur behavior/decisions will be viewed.
Unfortunately, that is how most firings happen.

It is usually due to personality conflicts not related to neurosurgery. And it's a one way street. If a resident argues or speaks up they are done, versus an attending can throw chairs or surgical instruments, yell at OR staff, make fun of patients and be fine. I am sick and tired of this happening to 10+ people I know, residents need protection to graduate. In most cases, the resident doesn't have the opportunity to share their side of the behavior. Maybe they got angry because their chief resident was downtown or on a boat, while supposed to be covering senior OR call, and made them cover a surgery while 3 EVDs and multiple consults pending ... oh but it was a simple crani the PGY4 can cover it all... It's more about teamwork and being an active member of the team. Stuff like that can be cherry on top of being called names by the same senior, etc. While the other junior residents are with him on the boat making fun of the PGY4 in the hospital. How would you feel as a patient or patient family, knowing that the head of the team supposed to treat you was out partying?

Also not every resident gets treated fairly. Almost every resident you can find stuff on to fire them. Programs pick and choose who they want to fire. Politics.
Feeling victimized? So unfair. Maybe choose different program next time.
there is no choice with the match
you can choose to not rank them
Why was he fired

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)