Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does private practice have more diverse cases than academics for most?
^^ those perks are unfair to the other employees. Patient care is a team exercise and this notion that physicians are superior is old fashioned and must end. Everyone is equally important in the care team and no one group deserves special perks.
^^ could not agree more. In fact, physicians should have fewer perks and a lower salary than other hospital workers to make up for the privilege they enjoy in terms of respect and authority. Workers of the world unite!
I would say the above numbers were low for non-academic. Both myself and every graduate I know who went into PP/hospital employed make much more than that, into the 7 figures.
What’s the total compensation (base + bonus) for a first year hospital employed neurosurgeon?
Mine came to be 1.15
(06-06-2023, 10:03 AM)Guest Wrote: Mine came to be 1.15

This seems high for a fresh grad. Is this a HCOL area?
Based on the 2019 NERVES data, median compensation for fresh grads was 750k, median compensation for academic neurosurgeons was 800k not broken down by year of practice. The ranges are quite wide, but to make 7 figures you likely need to be partner in a successful private practice, I think it’s unrealistic to expect a starting salary that high at a hospital employed position if you want to be selective about the kind of practice you have. I’d also add that senior academic surgeons regularly make 1-2 million per year.
How many years does it take for a fresh grad to make 1 million in a hospital-employed practice?
with production bonus and call pay maybe 1-2 years
A lot of it depends on where you practice. Typically, for every specialty not just neurosurgery, high cost of living areas pay less. The way a lot of these contracts are structured is: you get a "base salary" and after a certain amount of RVUs, you get a certain dollar amount per RVU. If you're not in a very saturated market, you can become busy quickly and thus hit your RVU minimum much faster. For example, my coresident took a job in Kansas City, and he walked into a job where he was already booked 3 months out. Did 13,000 RVUs that year and easily hit 7 figures. If you're in a saturated city, it will likely take you much longer to fill your elective OR schedule to the point where you're able to collect $/RVU, hence the lower early salary (you're often just getting the base).

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)