Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top residency programs in 2024 (operative)
Jefferson training is superior to USC in my opinion, although I’ll freely admit that the main driver for that opinion is that I’ve known several colleagues that trained at both institutions, and the Jefferson-trained surgeons are significantly better clinicians and operators than the USC-trained ones.
UCSF training is bad? Do their graduates have a hard time finding fellowships/jobs as well? I thought they were a top program. I guess I won't apply there next year.
UCSF terrible. You should go to Loma Linda or Rutgers.
UCSF training is not bad. It just depends on what you are looking for. The historical reputation of UCSF is that it was a balanced program with top notch research AND great operative autonomy. It's just that now, with new hires that are more hands on, and a lot of the older folks who gave more autonomy who left, it's in the elite research/hands on attendings group with Columbia, MGH, etc. It's still a great place depending on your goals and they obviously get top fellowships/jobs.
UCSF training is not bad. The operative experience is more backloaded than some other programs with the early years spent doing a crushing amount of call, but the last two years are spent doing 3-4 cases every day with good autonomy. Their graduates get the best fellowships and many get solid academic jobs straight out of training. Just look at past residents and see where they are now. If your heart is set on academic/organized neurosurgery, no other program gives you as much a head start as USCF.
Yeah, big downside of SF and NYC programs are the financial cost. But if your ok living on someone else’s couch for 7yr, UCSF really should be no worse than top 5 on your list if you want great combo of academic rigor, operative experience and crazy cases
Which programs do you recommend for someone only interested in PP?
Depends on the location you want to practice in, but generally programs with more opportunity for resident autonomy are better to set you up going into pp
UCSF over the past decade has lost Lawton, Abla, McDermott, Lawson, Ivan. Berger is semi-retired. Pretty much all of the operative cranial badasses are gone. Ames and Mummaneni are really the only giants left at UCSF but you can get good spine training at many places.
Programs come. Programs go. Know that there is a lot to learn from the "no name" faculty in any department. When Lawton scrubs in, they switch everything to southpaw, and you watch till he's done. I'd rather scrub with a competent surgeon who lets me get on with it myself.

Also, I hear there's this guy named Eddie Chang at UCSF. Impressive CV.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)