Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chances (MS3) serious
Hey guys, really need help about moving forward m. Decided on neurosurgery really late and was wondering what my chances are realistically speaking. While I'd rather not take a research year, I am open to the idea.

Stats: Step 1 - 236

Research- So no publications at all but I have about 5 posters- undergrad in neuroscience and 2 from medical school in urology plus two grants.

So realistically speaking do I have a chance and what should my next steps be moving forward. Again it worried about matching at a top 10 and I'm coming from a top 50 school.

Thanks for your help!
you need some pubs. take a year and flourish and you will match well!
Don't need an year off. Just nail your sub i. score on step 1 is good enough. Don't waste an year of your life. Take step 2 early and show improvement on your score and you will match.
You'll match but you won't match what you think of as "top 10".
You should take a research year if you want to match at an academic program at all let alone a top 10. Your research from earlier is actually a negarive from my pov because it suggests you gave up research after having explored it in another field at worst or a late bloomer at best, which is totally fine unless youre trying to bs me in an interview by saying you want to run a neurosurgery basic science lab some day. Get some nsg research under your belt.
(05-30-2017, 08:44 AM)Latebloomer Wrote: Hey guys, really need help about moving forward m. Decided on neurosurgery really late and was wondering what my chances are realistically speaking. While I'd rather not take a research year, I am open to the idea.

Research- So no publications at all but I have about 5 posters- undergrad in neuroscience and 2 from medical school in urology plus two grants.

So realistically speaking do I have a chance and what should my next steps be moving forward. Again it worried about matching at a top 10 and I'm coming from a top 50 school.

Thanks for your help!

Why urology research?

You won't match at a top 10 with that score, no pubs, and your school.
(05-30-2017, 12:49 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 08:44 AM)Latebloomer Wrote: Hey guys, really need help about moving forward m. Decided on neurosurgery really late and was wondering what my chances are realistically speaking. While I'd rather not take a research year, I am open to the idea.

Thanks for your help!

Why urology research?

Top 10 neurosurgery program? What metric even defines a top program (research, operative experience)?

If you're aiming for name brand programs like UCLA or MGH then you already closed some doors for yourself with the step score and lack of research. If you can get a publication or two within the next couple months, crush Step 2, and do well on your aways then you can probably land at a solid program.
236 u wont match top 10 no matter what u do unless u are a nfl player
(05-30-2017, 08:16 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 12:49 PM)Guest Wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Why urology research?

Top 10 neurosurgery program? What metric even defines a top program (research, operative experience)?

If you're aiming for name brand programs like UCLA or MGH then you already closed some doors for yourself with the step score and lack of research. If you can get a publication or two within the next couple months, crush Step 2, and do well on your aways then you can probably land at a solid program.
Original Poster

For clarification I am *NOT* trying to match top 10. I just want to match anywhere that'll give me great training ... my school has a home program any advice on meeting with PD?

Urology because got a grant in field summer after first year and thought it'd be cool to explore.
email them and ask to meet. explain your interest and your goal. Send them your resume.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)