Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hopkins
Anyone done a sub-I here? What's it like?
Buddy of mine did a Sub-I there last year and said it was the Sub-I they did the least/had the fewest responsibilities on. Also said it had the most obvious and rigid hierarchy of their away programs. My friend didn't bash the program by any means, but just a heads up if you're looking for any kind of operative experience (on your Sub-I). Now obviously if you have your heart set on that program, or want a letter from a particular person, you shouldn't let that deter you. And if it's your 3rd sub-I of the season, you might be thankful for the opportunity to just scrub in and stand there!
Do you get to do anything in residency there then?
(05-27-2017, 10:47 PM)Guest Wrote: Do you get to do anything in residency there then?

Unfortunately, given the medicolegal environment in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast, no.
A friend of mine also did a sub I here and said they did nearly nothing during sub I, except quadruple scrub most days: attending, fellow, resident, than you. The above poster is being nice by saying "rigid hierarchy" [read: malignant], which hopefully has improved with the departure of some select residents, however it trickles down from some of the attendings. The whole point of doing a sub I there is to get a letter from Huang/Brem, which does carry far. If your dream residency is Hopkins, do a sub I there. If your goal is exposure to the field, maybe better to do it somewhere else.
(05-30-2017, 08:33 PM)Guest Wrote: A friend of mine also did a sub I here and said they did nearly nothing during sub I, except quadruple scrub most days: attending, fellow, resident, than you. The above poster is being nice by saying "rigid hierarchy" [read: malignant], which hopefully has improved with the departure of some select residents, however it trickles down from some of the attendings. The whole point of doing a sub I there is to get a letter from Huang/Brem, which does carry far. If your dream residency is Hopkins, do a sub I there. If your goal is exposure to the field, maybe better to do it somewhere else.

a friend who is a resident there says its a mass exodus of faculty. wolinsky just left for northwestern and others.
There was a major shakeup in marylands rrimbursement system that may have played a role in that but who knows.
Anyone who did a sub-I this year want to share some thoughts?
Will you learn to operate if you go to residency at Hopkins? Or just research?
What's the word on this place now? Better or worse?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)