Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USMLE Step 1 now pass/fail
https://www.usmle.org/announcements/

Today, the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) and the National Board of Medical Examiners® (NBME®), co-sponsors of the United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®), announced upcoming policy changes to the USMLE program.
(02-12-2020, 02:11 PM)Guest Wrote: https://www.usmle.org/announcements/

Today, the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) and the National Board of Medical Examiners® (NBME®), co-sponsors of the United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®), announced upcoming policy changes to the USMLE program.

Easy. Still 2 more years before it is implemented. But I guess this means 2CK is going to count more now until they change that too
Yeah. CK, med school prestige, and research. There is no way to remove stress from med school and competition from residency applications. This is just stupid. CK scores come so late students will not have time to change plans if their scores are not competitive.
SubI performance has been trending towards being the most important factor in neurosurgery matching and this seals the deal
Will program directors still use step 1 for an initial sort these next couple of cycles, while it’s still available?
What will this mean in terms of difficulty to match? What will there be more emphasis on? Will this make marching into neurosurgery more difficult? Will more people than before begin to gun for neurosurgery? It would be really helpful to get a rundown of how this would effect ones time in medical school and the difficulty of matching.
Thanks a ton
(02-12-2020, 08:32 PM)Guest Wrote: What will this mean in terms of difficulty to match? What will there be more emphasis on? Will this make marching into neurosurgery more difficult? Will more people than before begin to gun for neurosurgery? It would be really helpful to get a rundown of how this would effect ones time in medical school and the difficulty of matching.
Thanks a ton

Nobody knows what's going to happen. My money is that there is going to be a premium on Med school prestige, research, and Sub-I performance. People at low-tier schools are probably going to have a harder time differentiating themselves.
Curious to hear from the lurking PDs if this really will shift all the weight to Step 2.
(02-12-2020, 09:07 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 08:32 PM)Guest Wrote: What will this mean in terms of difficulty to match? What will there be more emphasis on? Will this make marching into neurosurgery more difficult? Will more people than before begin to gun for neurosurgery? It would be really helpful to get a rundown of how this would effect ones time in medical school and the difficulty of matching.
Thanks a ton

Nobody knows what's going to happen. My money is that there is going to be a premium on Med school prestige, research, and Sub-I performance. People at low-tier schools are probably going to have a harder time differentiating themselves.

This exactly.  We're headed for a process with no objective criteria left to assess applicants.  Many medical schools also grade P/F and don't rank students. CK may be used for a while, but I wonder if this will also be eliminated after it becomes "too competitive and stressful" etc etc.  While a lovely personal statement and a smile might work in peds or family, surgical subspecialties are only going to put more and more weight on educational pedigree, who you know, and published research, all of which are interrelated. I think this is going to be counterproductive.
So I'm enrolling in MD-PhD this coming year at a new school. Do you think that the PhD would give me an edge in the residency process? I already have 7 pubs, but I'm looking to do a lot more during grad school. Since my school won't be ranked by the time I graduate & match, how much would this hurt my application?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)