Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BWH
Rotators at BWH last year, thoughts? Out of curiousity, did you spend any time at Boston Childrens Hospital or their suburban hospitals, if so how is that experience?
I rotated last year. Decent experience, big hospital, old ICU, new clinic building. Fun place for summer. Some great residents, but also some cliques among residents. Good hands-on experience in OR. Little double scrubbing that I saw. 4 dedicated OR first stars. Dedicated time with attending each week for teaching sessions. Good chair and PD. 1 week at BCH, which is connected to BWH via indoor skywalk.
BCH is run by BWH senior resident and then there are 4-5+junior residents from different northeastern institutions (MGH, tuft, etc). Children’s fellow mostly operates so the senior had to fight for time, and the juniors hardly got any operating and mostly showed up to meet case number.

AMA
Decent experience, a ton of tumor/skull base cases, 6 first start ORs. Solid residents, teach in the OR, juniors have busy calls, didn't really interact with Chiefs.
BCH good for connections, etc and if you want to do peds.
(05-08-2019, 03:34 PM)Guest Wrote: Decent experience, a ton of tumor/skull base cases, 6 first start ORs. Solid residents, teach in the OR, juniors have busy calls, didn't really interact with Chiefs.
BCH good for connections, etc and if you want to do peds.

6 whole ORs!?
Liked it there. Had reservations about an away given history of malignancy one of my home residents told me about but the new chair/PD seemed have cleaned that up. Solid residents who hang out outside of hospital, range of happy to teach young attendings to very senior attendings (laws, Almefty), wide open research that seems to be getting better. the ICU and wards are old for sure, unclear if that makes a difference for residents but probably doesn’t help. Residents seem to be mixed on staying postcall, some do, some don’t.

BCH pathologies are really cool, but barely scrubbed that week since there was usually either a fellow or BWH senior on top of another MGH or BWH junior scrubbing. Not much double scrubbing at BWH. We didn’t rotate at the suburban hospital
what is the call schedule like? what are subI expectations? is there facetime with chair?
8/22/20: 9am-12pm EST: BWH / Boston Children's Neurosurgery Virtual Sub-I with faculty and residents. Use this link to register!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQ...=send_form

Further details here: https://sites.google.com/view/nsgy/meetgreets
any chance you get to scrub into an almefty case?
I scrubbed an Al-Mefty case as a Sub-I. Residents don’t go in his room, only his fellow.
(07-30-2020, 01:43 PM)Guest Wrote: I scrubbed an Al-Mefty case as a Sub-I. Residents don’t go in his room, only his fellow.

This is false.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)