Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washington DC
Any thoughts on GW? Also in DC but no one is mentioning it.
(12-08-2020, 10:36 AM)Guest Wrote: Not sure georgetown has the infrastructure or case volume to properly train 4 residents every year...

I imagine this will be a major blow for the NIH program to attract top tier applicants. Giving up the UVA name and network built by John Jane Sr would put these graduates at a disadvantage compared to training at a conventional major academic program with prominently placed alumni.
(12-08-2020, 04:21 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 10:36 AM)Guest Wrote: Not sure georgetown has the infrastructure or case volume to properly train 4 residents every year...

I imagine this will be a major blow for the NIH program to attract top tier applicants. Giving up the UVA name and network built by John Jane Sr would put these graduates at a disadvantage compared to training at a conventional major academic program with prominently placed alumni.

Hard to imagine the NIH name not carrying weight for residents who want to go into academics and there are a lot of perks to staying in DC all 7 years.

6 and one half-dozen of the other
Losing UVA was definitely a big blow to the NIH program. This is a new program that is in turmoil but they are working to find a partnership to stay afloat. Agree, its unfortunate for their current residents who were promised a UVA training experience and pedigree. Sounds like they are hoping Georgetown will bite but nothing has been finalized because Georgetown is already increasing their complement to 3 residents this cycle. Inova Fairfax and George Washington are other partnership options as well.

Anyone that interviewed recently - any further details you've heard?
I interviewed at both UVA and NIH-UVA. Both programs were transparent and consistent in their messaging that UVA was moving towards a PGY-7 fellowship/transition to practice year (like virtually everybody else), which encroaches upon the elective time that the NIH can't afford to lose. I absolutely loved the leadership at the NIH. My interview with Chittiboina was probably the best one I've had this entire cycle. They are all an extremely down to earth group and were honest about their strengths and weaknesses. You will not come out of this program knowing how to place spinal instrumentation, but you will probably be better than average at working under the scope, which they do every day. I don't think the average applicant that is attracted to this program necessarily cares about "giving up the UVA name". People come here to build a research program with nearly unlimited resources afforded by working at the NIH. The reps in your senior years are quality over quantity at the NIH, which has nothing to do with UVA or Georgetown. DC is also a far more livable city than Charlottesville, and Baltimore is opened up if family is a consideration.

That being said, I find it strange that they didn't announce this before ERAS was submitted, and the formal partnership won't even be approved until January. They made it seem virtually guaranteed, but the uncertainty is there. I also wonder if this will affect the camaraderie of the NIH cohort, because they were pretty indistinguishable from the UVA residents (both residents I interviewed with at UVA were MD/PhD), and UVA has a strong track record of producing academic neurosurgeons even for those not on the NIH track.

The NIH leadership spoke very little about the junior experience at Georgetown. If anyone could provide the Georgetown perspective, that would be helpful (I didn't apply to the DC programs and know literally nothing about them).
(12-08-2020, 06:24 PM)Guest Wrote: Losing UVA was definitely a big blow to the NIH program. This is a new program that is in turmoil but they are working to find a partnership to stay afloat. Agree, its unfortunate for their current residents who were promised a UVA training experience and pedigree. Sounds like they are hoping Georgetown will bite but nothing has been finalized because Georgetown is already increasing their complement to 3 residents this cycle. Inova Fairfax and George Washington are other partnership options as well.

3 important points per the UVA/NIH interview day:

1. The residents asked for this change
2. All current residents are finishing at UVA as UVA/NIH residents, even the PGY-1's
3. 7-years in DC means 7 years of continuous research activities
(12-08-2020, 06:44 PM)smithers Wrote: I interviewed at both UVA and NIH-UVA. Both programs were transparent and consistent in their messaging that UVA was moving towards a PGY-7 fellowship/transition to practice year (like virtually everybody else), which encroaches upon the elective time that the NIH can't afford to lose. I absolutely loved the leadership at the NIH. My interview with Chittiboina was probably the best one I've had this entire cycle. They are all an extremely down to earth group and were honest about their strengths and weaknesses. You will not come out of this program knowing how to place spinal instrumentation, but you will probably be better than average at working under the scope, which they do every day. I don't think the average applicant that is attracted to this program necessarily cares about "giving up the UVA name". People come here to build a research program with nearly unlimited resources afforded by working at the NIH. The reps in your senior years are quality over quantity at the NIH, which has nothing to do with UVA or Georgetown. DC is also a far more livable city than Charlottesville, and Baltimore is opened up if family is a consideration.

That being said, I find it strange that they didn't announce this before ERAS was submitted, and the formal partnership won't even be approved until January. They made it seem virtually guaranteed, but the uncertainty is there. I also wonder if this will affect the camaraderie of the NIH cohort, because they were pretty indistinguishable from the UVA residents (both residents I interviewed with at UVA were MD/PhD), and UVA has a strong track record of producing academic neurosurgeons even for those not on the NIH track.

The NIH leadership spoke very little about the junior experience at Georgetown. If anyone could provide the Georgetown perspective, that would be helpful (I didn't apply to the DC programs and know literally nothing about them).

enough said.
(12-08-2020, 06:24 PM)Guest Wrote: Losing UVA was definitely a big blow to the NIH program. This is a new program that is in turmoil but they are working to find a partnership to stay afloat. Agree, its unfortunate for their current residents who were promised a UVA training experience and pedigree. Sounds like they are hoping Georgetown will bite but nothing has been finalized because Georgetown is already increasing their complement to 3 residents this cycle. Inova Fairfax and George Washington are other partnership options as well.

Why did NIH go with Georgetown?
Walter Jean leaving GW. Program is doneso.
(12-08-2020, 10:36 PM)Guest Wrote: Walter Jean leaving GW. Program is doneso.

Where is he headed?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)