Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nepotism in Neurosurgery
Please discuss.
Probably less bad than other competitive specialties like derm, because at least the shittiness of the grind is a deterrent.
Its bad and going to get a lot worse because of step 1 being pass fail. (so you can't objectively compare people). faculty openly put their kids name on papers and nowadays papers are the main thing that matters. at some med schools, over 50% of the class is legacy of faculty children. things like an emphasis on personality makes it even easier for faculty to hire their own.

medicine is basically closed unless you have a close family member who can push you in.

**** legacy OR faculty children
You clearly have a bone to pick with someone and you started this thread just to reply to yourself.

Quit vagueposting and go study or find a therapist if you’re so worried about whether or not you’ll measure up.
That’s a joke, right? No shit there is nepotism. If it’s a surprise, shame on you for having your head in the sand. The game has always been a bit of meritocracy with a heavy helping of luck in terms of what your zip code/family name/skin color is. Harvard isn’t getting rid of legacy admissions ever, and people in small fields will do favors for each other until the end of time or a major culture shift happens.
I'd say maybe 20-30% of my med school class were legacies or faculty children, which was more than anticipated, but I think the bigger benefit they get is having parents who can help the system of med school applications, research, finding mentors, and applying to residency. Despite the nepotism that existed, the greatest barrier the children of non-physicians, including myself, had to overcome was the lack of help navigating the system overall. Advising at the college and med school level is a joke and the amazing nsgy applicants from lower tier med schools that land at great programs every year would probably agree
Agree, pathway education is a major barrier to those without connections. My father encouraged me to go an engineering school with a deflated grade point...
This is well known. Has happened recently at Brigham, Hopkins, Penn, Brown, Columbia and others.

The world is unfair, I don’t see it changing.
Mayo clinic too. it will only increase.

the problem is getting worse and worse, with the decline in objective measures and the rise in subjective and woke measures. its like ivy-league admissions, which use a "holistic" and woke admission criteria, which just-so-happens to admit 60% of its class from the top 1% of wealth.
Dude, run your own race. Don’t worry about anyone else.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)