Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UTSW Opening
(07-11-2022, 02:29 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-11-2022, 08:33 AM)Guest Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 05:29 PM)Guest Wrote: In Law: If it doesn't fit, you must acquit.

In Medicine: If not a great fit, you must quit.

also, would be be making more money as a consultant? Maybe that caused the gentleman in question to change? because if you start earning 200K at age 24, and save it up in s&p500, you get a lot more in passive income after like 10 years, right? also, you get to travel around and live in 5 star hotels so did that play a role? you get to fly first-class as well? anyone have insight into the lifestyle?

Yes you make more money as a consultant overall. And the environment is less malignant. Your career outlook is better, and the culture is less toxic. And it’s way more fun, like you described. 

Medicine isn’t the career it once was, people have way too much sunk cost fallacy and a habit of putting it on a pedestal.

You can’t put a dollar amount on doing meaningful work and coming home feeling fulfilled. It’s a feeling my college friends who work on Wall Street wish they had.

you absolutely can put a dollar amount and should because this is the type of thinking that results in (many) doctors getting paid much less than consultants/lawyers/those on wall  street. Know your worth is beyond the feeling of fulfillment and you’ll do yourself and the field of medicine a service.
(07-11-2022, 03:10 PM)Guest Wrote:

also, would be be making more money as a consultant? Maybe that caused the gentleman in question to change? because if you start earning 200K at age 24, and save it up in s&p500, you get a lot more in passive income after like 10 years, right? also, you get to travel around and live in 5 star hotels so did that play a role? you get to fly first-class as well? anyone have insight into the lifestyle?

Yes you make more money as a consultant overall. And the environment is less malignant. Your career outlook is better, and the culture is less toxic. And it’s way more fun, like you described. 

Medicine isn’t the career it once was, people have way too much sunk cost fallacy and a habit of putting it on a pedestal.

You can’t put a dollar amount on doing meaningful work and coming home feeling fulfilled. It’s a feeling my college friends who work on Wall Street wish they had.

**Coming home at 10pm to your wife and kids already asleep and going back to work at 4am before they wake up

Lol this. Fulfillment is personal. I got zero fulfilment out of clinical medicine, none. Left to consulting myself a few years back and am way more fulfilled and have much more growth in my life.

I do meaningful work, get paid more than residents, and live a better quality of life. Pretty damn good deal. And i don't get abused day to day.
(07-11-2022, 04:33 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-11-2022, 03:10 PM)Guest Wrote:

**Coming home at 10pm to your wife and kids already asleep and going back to work at 4am before they wake up

Lol this. Fulfillment is personal. I got zero fulfilment out of clinical medicine, none. Left to consulting myself a few years back and am way more fulfilled and have much more growth in my life.

I do meaningful work, get paid more than residents, and live a better quality of life. Pretty damn good deal. And i don't get abused day to day.

Lol, you can find fulfillment in your work and still get paid your worth. Just because some find their work meaningful doesn’t mean they do it for free. And getting home at 10pm and leaving at 4am? Maybe as a PGY2 but certainly not required as an attending unless you make that kind of schedule by choice.

Also LOL @ the person claiming to work in consulting “for a few years”. Either you’re lying or you have serious issues if you still check this site “years” after leaving for consulting.
Consultants, CEOs, top lawyers and Wall Street are the ones who actually create wealth and make this country the richest and greatest in the world. Everyone else are just freeriding at best; parasites at worst.
(07-11-2022, 11:55 PM)Guest Wrote: Consultants, CEOs, top lawyers and Wall Street are the ones who actually create wealth and make this country the richest and greatest in the world. Everyone else are just freeriding at best; parasites at worst.

This is a troll, right? You’ve literally listed the biggest parasites other than politicians…
So I guess Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Steve Jobs etc are all just parasites?
Those are not CEOs first and foremost. They are founders. And Brin and Jobs are/were also inventors.
Wtf does a consultant even do??? Such a vague “job”…glorified paper pusher?
For clarification, a founding CEO of a startup might get 10-15% of a companies initial equity, which then gets diluted by rounds of fundraising potentially. A subsequent CEO of a fully formed company may not get nearly as much equity in the company unless they're bringing something to the table in exchange (maybe their own company that is getting absorbed for example). A founder might get 20-60% of initial equity each depending on various factors, principally the number of founders and the amount of commitment they're bringing to the table.
(07-13-2022, 11:56 AM)Guest Wrote: Wtf does a consultant even do??? Such a vague “job”…glorified paper pusher?
Most of their time is spent making PowerPoint presentations. Not a joke

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)