Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Chairs Shuffling
Yeah, you're right, they tend to pick their own people. Bettagowda and a possible Sciubba return would also come to mind. Seems like Hopkins are at a turning point with lots of new people from their own ranks getting recruited, while the big names either leave or come close to retirement. Not necessarily a bad thing, of course.
Theodore
(07-25-2022, 08:13 PM)Guest Wrote: Yeah, you're right, they tend to pick their own people. Bettagowda and a possible Sciubba return would also come to mind. Seems like Hopkins are at a turning point with lots of new people from their own ranks getting recruited, while the big names either leave or come close to retirement. Not necessarily a bad thing, of course.

Hopkins is suffering for volume big time. Not the program there were when they were anymore matching 4/year.

They keep hiring their own fresh graduates, not good for diversity of skill and training for residents.

Agree Theodore makes sense as chair.
(07-25-2022, 11:35 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-25-2022, 08:13 PM)Guest Wrote: Yeah, you're right, they tend to pick their own people. Bettagowda and a possible Sciubba return would also come to mind. Seems like Hopkins are at a turning point with lots of new people from their own ranks getting recruited, while the big names either leave or come close to retirement. Not necessarily a bad thing, of course.

Hopkins is suffering for volume big time. Not the program there were when they were anymore matching 4/year.

They keep hiring their own fresh graduates, not good for diversity of skill and training for residents.

NT would be a decent choice, but Brem would never pick a spine guy. When I was there on SubI the talk was Graeme Woodworth from Maryland since he’s a successful mid career alum who is already chair. Judy Huang (vice chair) was also on the list since she’s on JNS editorial board and involved in SNS. But they’ve been having the “who replaces Brem” question for a decade, so not clear that they’re looking to move on yet. Chou is a no (spine guy and just moved to Columbia); same with barley. Phil storm is peds, which isn’t a strict no, but they already have Al Cohen as head of peds and so they’d need him to step down with Brem. Agree they need to go back to 3/yr. Program kicked ass in late 2000s when it was “malignant” - just look at their alumni list from that time.
(07-26-2022, 04:49 AM)Guest Wrote:
(07-25-2022, 11:35 PM)Guest Wrote:

NT would be a decent choice, but Brem would never pick a spine guy. When I was there on SubI the talk was Graeme Woodworth from Maryland since he’s a successful mid career alum who is already chair. Judy Huang (vice chair) was also on the list since she’s on JNS editorial board and involved in SNS. But they’ve been having the “who replaces Brem” question for a decade, so not clear that they’re looking to move on yet. Chou is a no (spine guy and just moved to Columbia); same with barley. Phil storm is peds, which isn’t a strict no, but they already have Al Cohen as head of peds and so they’d need him to step down with Brem. Agree they need to go back to 3/yr. Program kicked ass in late 2000s when it was “malignant” - just look at their alumni list from that time.

Always thought Michael Lim was getting groomed to be chair here, maybe they’ll try to get him back.
Nick Theodore likely to be new chair. if he wants it.
What’s the deal with Giannotta at USC? Assuming it’s gonna be Mack vs Zada and/or maybe an external alumnus like Mike Wang or Dan Hoh?
And why wouldn’t it be Q?
Because Q can't get a small Mayo-backed program running without dropping residents left and right. Plus he's too controversial. I hope it won't be him, it seems like all he does is for his own sake and that he'd use Hopkins to further promote himself.
Theodore seems like a good leader and a solid fit, but might be too old for the Hopkins way of giving chairs 10-20 years. I have my money on Bettagowda or Woodworth to continue the Hunterian basic science legacy.

For USC, Zada is great but it might be a bit too early for him. Mike Wang would be a superb fit. Certainly a character, but seems to be a great leader and very passionate about the program and neurosurgical education
(07-27-2022, 08:14 AM)Guest Wrote: Because Q can't get a small Mayo-backed program running without dropping residents left and right. Plus he's too controversial. I hope it won't be him, it seems like all he does is for his own sake and that he'd use Hopkins to further promote himself.
Theodore seems like a good leader and a solid fit, but might be too old for the Hopkins way of giving chairs 10-20 years. I have my money on Bettagowda or Woodworth to continue the Hunterian basic science legacy.

For USC, Zada is great but it might be a bit too early for him. Mike Wang would be a superb fit. Certainly a character, but seems to be a great leader and very passionate about the program and neurosurgical education

How is he too controversial ? He's a great neurosurgeon and life story with an amazing life story who would be a great fit for chair at JHU. Maybe he might help them regain their reputation

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)