Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to do research effectively?
I feel like I waste a lot of time being ineffective. Need good resources for a workflow. 
Any links/resources/anything? Need to make the most out of this research year. I chose neurosurgery late. 

Thanks/
Reach out to senior students with track record of high impact publications.
You are completely fucked.
(05-28-2023, 09:47 PM)Guest Wrote: Reach out to senior students with track record of high impact publications.

High impact papers don't come quick unless you're doing something like bioinformatics. OP only has 1 year. Best way is to ask a resident for pre-made databases and try to figure out some novel questions you can ask from that database. Second best options is reviews, research, and letter commentaries but PDs at top programs will completely see through these papers, even if you got over 100 of them.
The dirty secret is PD’s don’t actually care about the quality of pubs or the number of them. As long as you show you can do some, that’ll suffice. The even dirtier secret is all the publication whore Med students who are desperately trying to get into a “top” program will eventually realize too late that they’re not going to be academic surgeons (and those who are will be miserable) and they’re going to wind up in private practice anyway, but they’ll just be worse operators than those who went to workhorse programs but actually learned neurosurgery
but muh Alabama
PD's dirty secret is that positions are filled years in advance and ACGME is a nightmare to them
I have heard that PDs only care about what makes them look good.

They like to say, "We have a guy from Harvard" (even if you graduated last, you still have a huge advantage over muh Alabama State grad who publishes in Nature).

Or "we have a guy who published 50 papers" (even if they are all BS, vs the guy who published 2 papers in Cell). Number of pubs makes the departments look good to donors and admin who don't know better.

Or: We have a famous social media star. (Again makes the department look good).

Its all about image.
Myron Rolle understand this early on. This is why he’s been so good at gaming the system
just be prepared to be micromanaged

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)