Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How saturated is the Boston market?
Question 
Hi everyone - not a neurosurgeon, but my SO is, so apologies if this is a stupid question.  I've done as much research on forums as I can, but haven't found enough info anywhere.

Is there much hope of finding a (decent, non-toxic) job within the greater Boston area given all the residency programs for someone who doesn't have any ties there?  My SO did his med school, residency, and fellowship (spine) in the midwest, and is now 5 years out.  He's interested in PP or "privademics", but feels that he wouldn't be very competitive given all the prestigious schools/hospitals and market saturation.  I would like to settle down in MA as I grew up there and have family there (he's amenable otherwise).  His only real requirements are a non-toxic working environment and ideally no more than ~60 hours a week.
Boston one of the most competitive and saturated markets unfortunately. However, despite the academic programs there, there are also several large and powerful private practice groups. Getting a high paying private practice spine job with reasonable hours will be a challenge there. Unless you work for these groups, its hard to know their culture regarding toxicity, but the best indicator is looking at the turn over of the partners. High turn over suggests there might be a toxic or tough environment.
There are absolutely jobs available within Massachusetts as overall, and I know of at least one or two advertised jobs within Boston itself. As to the toxicity of the environment, I have no idea. A useful source to find out can actually be the instrumentation reps, they often can be great resources for finding out what surgeons are like, and how healthy and busy a practice is. You can also engage the services of a recruiter, but keep in mind they have no fiduciary or ethical responsibility to you. They will find you jobs, but have no responsibility to make sure they are GOOD jobs

Speaking from reports I’ve heard from a coresident who briefly worked in the Massachusetts area, he did not love it. He only stayed at the practice for a few years before he left and went to a neighboring east coast state. He previously practiced in the Midwest (where compensation is high compared to the East coast) and he very much wanted to go to the northeast for family reasons. He left because he wasn’t paid well in Massachusetts, and he didn’t like the practice environment (competitive, saturated market, fairly litigious)
with the merger going on right now i wouldnt be shocked if jobs were cut
Hi everyone, OP here - thank you for the feedback! A little demoralizing but will still try :o)

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)