Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Chill/Laid back programs
Star 
Which programs out there would people say are pretty bro? And when I say bro, I don’t necessarily mean all dudes. I mean somewhat laid back with cool residents that are collegial, get out together, aren’t super nerdy, like sports, etc. Just looking for a really chill group.
Not trolling, but reconsider neurosurgery if you're looking for chill. The field is meant for intrinsically hard-nosed people. By that I don't mean egotistical jerks but people who want to work their tails off. With that being said, most resident groups do find time to unwind either together or with friends & family. Some programs that are notable for their comradery are UWash, Barrow, Pitt, MGH, Mayo. Probably some others but it depends on the current cohort rather than the program itself unless you're at a pressure cooker like Hopkins or UCSF.
(11-10-2017, 02:07 AM)Guest Wrote: Not trolling, but reconsider neurosurgery if you're looking for chill. The field is meant for intrinsically hard-nosed people. By that I don't mean egotistical jerks but people who want to work their tails off. With that being said, most resident groups do find time to unwind either together or with friends & family. Some programs that are notable for their comradery are UWash, Barrow, Pitt, MGH, Mayo. Probably some others but it depends on the current cohort rather than the program itself unless you're at a pressure cooker like Hopkins or UCSF.

Mayo is the furthest from comradery there is.  The rotation schedule there created islands of individuals rather than a team feel.  Most of the residents are cordial with one another, but far from friends.
Why is Hopkins a “pressure cooker” when they have low volume and are “triple scrubbed”?
(11-10-2017, 08:36 AM)Guest Wrote: Why is Hopkins a “pressure cooker” when they have low volume and are “triple scrubbed”?

It's a bunch of oversized, underperforming egos constantly jockeying for positioning. They are insecure in themselves, so they take it out on those around them, which causes the underlings to be more anxious and act out as well.  There's no reason for the toxicity, aside from pride and hubris, though you listen to them talk,  and in their own eyes, they are literally God.
BWH is a very cordial gentleman type program.
Once more, I obtain so many appealing people today and matters to discuss below.
Should you nonetheless have some concerns left - feel free to put in writing me.
Henry Ford is very team oriented and relaxed
Brown. Don't believe the diatribes. These guys are basically orthos who also do brain.
(11-10-2017, 06:41 PM)Guest Wrote: Brown. Don't believe the diatribes. These guys are basically orthos who also do brain.

They might be orthos, since 90% of their volume is spine, but they're malignant af.  They have 1 resident who went to med school there, pretty telling if their own do they even want to stay.  Plus, they've lost or fired a lot of residents.  About as chill as that roided up football player dude in the gym show thinks youre checking out their girl.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)