Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pediatric Neurosurgery Fellowship
Does attending a residency program with a pediatric fellowship provide much advantage for doing a peds fellowship over someone at a program without one?
Depends if you want to do the fellowship at the same institution/local Children’s hospital as your residency. At my home Program the fellowship director and chief resident had verbally agreed to his placement a wayyy before chief year even though they still interviewed potential candidates (kinda crappy imo)
If you're at a place like Penn or Harvard then I can see having the support of a renown pediatric neurosurgeon being beneficial. I think it's more about research and demonstrated interest more than where you do residency.
(01-06-2018, 10:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Depends if you want to do the fellowship at the same institution/local Children’s hospital as your residency. At my home Program the fellowship director and chief resident had verbally agreed to his placement a wayyy before chief year even though they still interviewed potential candidates (kinda crappy imo)

This probably safe-guarded the program, though? I know of people (for residency placements) who tell a program it's their number 1 then match somewhere else (even though the program ranked them to match). The program interviewing applicants would ensure their fellowship slot was filled in case that resident ranked another fellowship location higher.
doing fellowship where you did your residency isnt ideal in peds nsg fwiw
(01-07-2018, 06:26 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-06-2018, 10:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Depends if you want to do the fellowship at the same institution/local Children’s hospital as your residency. At my home Program the fellowship director and chief resident had verbally agreed to his placement a wayyy before chief year even though they still interviewed potential candidates (kinda crappy imo)

This probably safe-guarded the program, though? I know of people (for residency placements) who tell a program it's their number 1 then match somewhere else (even though the program ranked them to match). The program interviewing applicants would ensure their fellowship slot was filled in case that resident ranked another fellowship location higher.
I would agree, but the chief resident didn’t interview/apply anywhere else. If they had taken another candidate, kinda would have been screwed
(01-07-2018, 09:30 PM)Focus Wrote: doing fellowship where you did your residency isnt ideal in peds nsg fwiw

@Focus Why is that?
Theres a general feeling that you will learn more with a new set of surgeons as well as build more connections. Its a field with membership in the low 100s.
(01-07-2018, 09:30 PM)Focus Wrote: doing fellowship where you did your residency isnt ideal in peds nsg fwiw

Would doing a residency at a place with a peds fellowship help you build connections to do a fellowship elsewhere?
No one cases about peds. Stop asking!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)