Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UC Irvine
Any thoughts, insight?
Stable leadership now, questionable past. Solid group of junior residents. Great location if you like the OC.

Proceed with cautious optimism. I'd say that's true for any program that's 1/year.
(08-12-2017, 02:38 AM)Guest Wrote: Stable leadership now, questionable past. Solid group of junior residents. Great location if you like the OC.

Proceed with cautious optimism. I'd say that's true for any program that's 1/year.

Nice try Irvine resident.  This dumpster is still smoldering.
I have no connection to Irvine whatsoever except for talking with the chair twice in passing at conferences over the last couple years and interviewing there more than a decade ago.

I know they've had a lot of issues in the past...and maybe still do, who knows.

However, referring to another institution (and, by extension, all of its faculty, residents, and staff) as a "smoldering dumpster" is petty and beneath the dignity of our profession.

Moving forward, I hope there is a way to speak honestly while still being respectful of our colleagues on this forum.
Here here.

I'd like to know characteristics of the program. Pros, cons, trajectory.
(08-12-2017, 12:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Here here.

I'd like to know characteristics of the program. Pros, cons, trajectory.

There is no trajectory. This program is malignant, end of story. Huge faculty turnover, med students who are considering neurosurgery go into other specialties after rotating with the department, residents don't leave the hospital for an entire week at some points.
Okay. One of very few options for me to come back to the West Coast/Home.

Anyone want to provide a real assessment? Everything I've gotten has been heartily enthusiastic but with a definite whiff of fear/bs.

What's the real story at uci
(02-07-2018, 08:52 PM)Guest Wrote: Okay. One of very few options for me to come back to the West Coast/Home.

Anyone want to provide a real assessment? Everything I've gotten has been heartily enthusiastic but with a definite whiff of fear/bs.

What's the real story at uci

If you're thinking of matching on the west coast I wouldn't recommend a Sub-i at UCI. Go for a reasonable program like UCSD or OHSU, maybe Davis.
disagree UCI is a great program. was devastated when I matched here but haven't felt more confident with my operating skills ever since 4th year
They need at least one big name to compete

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)