Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Gentlemen's" Programs
(07-19-2018, 01:10 AM)Guest Wrote: Current senior resident here at a busy academic program. At the risk of being slightly off tangent, I just wanted to share my thoughts and advice to applicants. Take this for what it's worth (being brutally honest here)

1) if you are doing your sub-I and I hear anything about duty hours, work-life balance,, anything along those lines - you're getting blackballed

2) (for females) if you show up to your sub-I or interview and straight up tell someone you're planning on having kids during residency - you're getting blackballed

3) if you whine in any way shape or form about how tough it is or how people are mean to you and singling you out - you're getting blackballed

I have no problem if you're a man/woman, straight/gay, black/white, etc. but if your "label" affects your ability to complete your duties as a resident then I don't want you in my program. If you perceive slights at every corner and feel like everyone is against you because of your race, gender, or ethnicity, then you may just be too sensitive for neurosurgery. Part of being a good resident is taking a beating with a smile and coming back for more the next day. These are the qualities that I look for in our incoming applicants. If you get butthurt easily then I suggest you look at another specialty.

Regarding the pregnancy thing, I'm not against you getting pregnant. I'm against you getting pregnant during residency. If I have to take extra call or lose my research block because I have to cover for you during maternity leave, then you are taking away from my residency experience. You have a choice regarding what specialty you go into, just like you have a choice of having a child during residency (barring any accidental pregnancies). If you want to have a kid during your 20s to 30s then pick a different specialty.

Just my two cents take it or leave it

Also if I say gentlemans program while we're talking and you correct me - you're getting blackballed

Also senior resident at top 10 program.  Most residents (including me) in my experience would agree with most/all of the above.
(07-19-2018, 07:13 AM)Guest Wrote:
(07-19-2018, 01:10 AM)Guest Wrote: Current senior resident here at a busy academic program. At the risk of being slightly off tangent, I just wanted to share my thoughts and advice to applicants. Take this for what it's worth (being brutally honest here)

1) if you are doing your sub-I and I hear anything about duty hours, work-life balance,, anything along those lines - you're getting blackballed

2) (for females) if you show up to your sub-I or interview and straight up tell someone you're planning on having kids during residency - you're getting blackballed

3) if you whine in any way shape or form about how tough it is or how people are mean to you and singling you out - you're getting blackballed

I have no problem if you're a man/woman, straight/gay, black/white, etc. but if your "label" affects your ability to complete your duties as a resident then I don't want you in my program. If you perceive slights at every corner and feel like everyone is against you because of your race, gender, or ethnicity, then you may just be too sensitive for neurosurgery. Part of being a good resident is taking a beating with a smile and coming back for more the next day. These are the qualities that I look for in our incoming applicants. If you get butthurt easily then I suggest you look at another specialty.

Regarding the pregnancy thing, I'm not against you getting pregnant. I'm against you getting pregnant during residency. If I have to take extra call or lose my research block because I have to cover for you during maternity leave, then you are taking away from my residency experience. You have a choice regarding what specialty you go into, just like you have a choice of having a child during residency (barring any accidental pregnancies). If you want to have a kid during your 20s to 30s then pick a different specialty.

Also if I say gentlemans program while we're talking and you correct me - you're getting blackballed

I'm an attending at a top program in the northeast.

Thank you for saying what many/most in the field feel, but are afraid to come out and say.  You may not have been the most eloquent, or soft with your statements, the underlying premise is there.

I call bull shit or you are a coward. Other attendings have attempted to be a rationale voice and have done so without a veil of anonymity to give credence to their claim.
(07-19-2018, 10:02 AM)Guest Wrote:
(07-19-2018, 07:13 AM)Guest Wrote:

I'm an attending at a top program in the northeast.

Thank you for saying what many/most in the field feel, but are afraid to come out and say.  You may not have been the most eloquent, or soft with your statements, the underlying premise is there.

I call bull shit or you are a coward. Other attendings have attempted to be a rationale voice and have done so without a veil of anonymity to give credence to their claim.
This is great, you can practically hear the glass bubble this sjw millennial lives in shattering!
wtf is a gentlemens program anyway? like is that just some term weak applicants invented to make themselves feel better about not being good enough to match at UCSF?
(07-19-2018, 12:52 PM)Guest Wrote: wtf is a gentlemens program anyway? like is that just some term weak applicants invented to make themselves feel better about not being good enough to match at UCSF?

*air horn*

here we gooooooooo

I'm a pgy-5 at a top west coast program and I agree with literally every word. This is the actual truth whether med students like it or not. This needs to be stickied somewhere in the sub I forum so applicants can see it in the future.
(07-19-2018, 04:36 PM)Guest Wrote:

I'm a pgy-5 at a top west coast program and I agree with literally every word. This is the actual truth whether med students like it or not. This needs to be stickied somewhere in the sub I forum so applicants can see it in the future.

Tbf, there are cuck beta programs (e.g. OHSU, Duke, Michigan, Penn State) that fit millenials and their attitude.

*TRIGGER WARNING*
Use of the term "problematic" may induce red-blooded neurosurgeons into fits of whinging about SJW's, Tumblr, and/or Millenials.

The reason statements like 2) are problematic is not because you don't have the right to feel burdended or unjustly impacted by the prolonged absence of another resident - you do, and you likely will be. But instead of attempting to solve your problem by restricting someone else's reproductive choice through shame and intidmidation, perhaps the focus should be on the systems and expectations in place that allow neurosurgery programs to be so fragile and understaffed that the absence of a resident for two or three months would so drastically affect your training.
This poster is clearly not a resident...

Most residency programs have the number of residents that they do because it just isn't feasible to add more people to the resident complement. Case volume across the country isn't high enough to justify adding more people, and a large number of residents graduating these days are already undertrained as a result of work hour restrictions. So unless you're proposing to extend residency to 8 years, there's no simple solution. Plus a lot of programs cover multiple hospitals, which means residents are spread thin and simply adding one or two more people isn't going to make a big enough difference to matter anyway.

No one is trying to intimidate or shame women into choosing another specialty. The problem is that choosing to have a kid affects other people in the program negatively. Is it fair that your choice means that I have to work harder? No it isn't. If one of my male co-residents broke his wrist while lifting and had to miss 2-3 months, you can bet I'd be equally pissed. Neurosurgery is a choice. If you know you want to have kids, then plan to have them either before or after residency. Or pick another specialty. No one is forcing you to become a neurosurgeon besides yourself.
[quote='Guest' pid='9939' dateline='
Part of being a good resident is taking a beating with a smile and coming back for more the next day.
[/quote]
Pretty sure this is an endorsement of abuse.

Wonder what all you "tough" senior residents and attendings think of your colleagues who took their own life. You perpetuate this environment of hostility. When will enough be enough?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)