Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Submitted Papers
I'm planning on applying this year, straight through medical school, and found an interest in neuro a little later, so just picked up on some research projects. Most of it is in submission/about to be submitted now.  For any PD's/attendings/residents involved with ranking, to what degree are submitted research manuscripts considered, especially if these papers are with a mentor who is writing a LOR on one's behalf?
(07-25-2018, 10:07 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm planning on applying this year, straight through medical school, and found an interest in neuro a little later, so just picked up on some research projects. Most of it is in submission/about to be submitted now.  For any PD's/attendings/residents involved with ranking, to what degree are submitted research manuscripts considered, especially if these papers are with a mentor who is writing a LOR on one's behalf?

PubMed or it does not exist.
Do people care on the trail if your case reports are in World vs JNS: Spine or Peds, or does it just matter that they get published/accepted?
(07-26-2018, 07:17 AM)Tintinnabulum Wrote: Do people care on the trail if your case reports are in World vs JNS: Spine or Peds, or does it just matter that they get published/accepted?

No one gives a shit about your case reports
You are a medical student, you aren't going to have NEJM or Science stuff, with maybe 1-2 exceptions per year. Case reports are fine. Just any activity of research that are on PubMed is a good thing. If its a case report, review article, or small outcomes based surgical series (which is the significant majority of medical student papers) then thats fine. Nothing to be ashamed about... Places that are obviously research focused will want to see a little more than just case reports, but thats obvious and most if not all of the residents at such programs took significant research time prior to residency to build such a CV.

No one cares about any of the papers medical students have published on the trail, they just care to see that you can take a project through to completion as it indicates that you know how to complete tasks, which is obviously important for incoming interns....
God this is so refreshing to hear. Thank you!
(07-26-2018, 12:03 PM)Guest Wrote: You are a medical student, you aren't going to have NEJM or Science stuff, with maybe 1-2 exceptions per year. Case reports are fine. Just any activity of research that are on PubMed is a good thing. If its a case report, review article, or small outcomes based surgical series (which is the significant majority of medical student papers) then thats fine. Nothing to be ashamed about... Places that are obviously research focused will want to see a little more than just case reports, but thats obvious and most if not all of the residents at such programs took significant research time prior to residency to build such a CV.

No one cares about any of the papers medical students have published on the trail, they just care to see that you can take a project through to completion as it indicates that you know how to complete tasks, which is obviously important for incoming interns....

Awesome thanks. I’ve got other things but I’m new to case reports so I wasn’t sure if it mattered. On another note, how are those NEJM or Nature or Science papers viewed as a medical student? As just another paper with maybe a little more weight or as big factors in ranking? Thanks again for your advice!
submitted doesnt count as much because every year a couple smart asses submitted a bunch of garbage right before the deadline.
(07-26-2018, 01:13 PM)Tintinnabulum Wrote:
(07-26-2018, 12:03 PM)Guest Wrote: You are a medical student, you aren't going to have NEJM or Science stuff, with maybe 1-2 exceptions per year. Case reports are fine. Just any activity of research that are on PubMed is a good thing. If its a case report, review article, or small outcomes based surgical series (which is the significant majority of medical student papers) then thats fine. Nothing to be ashamed about... Places that are obviously research focused will want to see a little more than just case reports, but thats obvious and most if not all of the residents at such programs took significant research time prior to residency to build such a CV.

Awesome thanks. I’ve got other things but I’m new to case reports so I wasn’t sure if it mattered. On another note, how are those NEJM or Nature or Science papers viewed as a medical student? As just another paper with maybe a little more weight or as big factors in ranking? Thanks again for your advice!

First author Nature paper is the golden ticket.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)