Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research training during Med school vs. Residency
Although I realize the translational neurosurgeon-scientist is a near myth, there are obviously a handful of them out there. If this is ultimately my career goal, when should I pursue research training? During Med school through an MD/PhD (pros: free tuition; cons: huge gap between research training and first faculty position)? During residency through a post-doc and completion of masters/doctorate?

All advice is appreciated.
I would encourage the former. It will provide a platform for you to get into an academic residency that will support your basic science endeavors.
Don’t do a PhD for neurosurgery unless you’d be happy doing a PhD regardless if you end up in neurosurgery. If you’re just trying to gun then do a funded research year after M3. You will be miserable during the PhD if your heart isn’t in it.
(07-27-2018, 05:16 PM)Focus Wrote: I would encourage the former. It will provide a platform for you to get into an academic residency that will support your basic science endeavors.

Ive seen that a couple programs do PhDs during residency, which is pretty cool. @Focus do you feel strongly for or against such programs? I didnt do a PhD during med school because of the time constraint, but if I'm going to be in residency for 7 years and have the option, I would love to. It seems like a great way to build the critical thinking needs to be a PI
(07-27-2018, 06:43 PM)Tintinnabulum Wrote:
(07-27-2018, 05:16 PM)Focus Wrote: I would encourage the former. It will provide a platform for you to get into an academic residency that will support your basic science endeavors.

Ive seen that a couple programs do PhDs during residency, which is pretty cool. @Focus do you feel strongly for or against such programs? I didnt do a PhD during med school because of the time constraint, but if I'm going to be in residency for 7 years and have the option, I would love to. It seems like a great way to build the critical thinking needs to be a PI

I'm not suggesting that this is bad, only that you stand to benefit the most by doing it before you apply. Doing a PhD during residency is complicated. It may mean extending your time beyond 7 years and, if not, it does mean there may be reductions in the sum total of your clinical training. Again, not saying it isn't worth it depending on your goals but if neurosurgery residency had time for a full-on PhD within it then it wouldn't be 7 years up from 6.
(07-27-2018, 10:29 PM)Focus Wrote:
(07-27-2018, 06:43 PM)Tintinnabulum Wrote:

I'm not suggesting that this is bad, only that you stand to benefit the most by doing it before you apply. Doing a PhD during residency is complicated. It may mean extending your time beyond 7 years and, if not, it does mean there may be reductions in the sum total of your clinical training. Again, not saying it isn't worth it depending on your goals but if neurosurgery residency had time for a full-on PhD within it then it wouldn't be 7 years up from 6.

Fair points, I appreciate your insight!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)