Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much do third year grades really matter?
Can someone give me a straight, real answer about the important of third year grades? Pediatrics is boring af, and feel like I'm gonna be miserable on Fam Med, OBgyn, Psych. Do I really need to bust my ass to try to Honor these rotations?
If you can't be bothered to even get honors on psych or fam med, I'd worry about you in neurosurgery residency.

There are a ton of things you will be less than excited about during seven years of neurosurgery residency. If you won't "bust your ass" during those times too (when the stakes are much higher) you will be in for a rude awakening...
I've sat in on Match meetings, and everyone realizes that it is very subjective, but if you have a bunch of low-passes and/or no Honors, then it might affect you. Obviously not as important, your personality, personal achievements, and most importantly - research.
(08-06-2018, 02:43 PM)Guest Wrote: Can someone give me a straight, real answer about the important of third year grades? Pediatrics is boring af, and feel like I'm gonna be miserable on Fam Med, OBgyn, Psych. Do I really need to bust my ass to try to Honor these rotations?

The only rotations you should definitely get honors in are Surgery, IM, and neurology. No one cares about what you get in psych or fam med. If your school has evaluations attached to the clinical grades, make sure to avoid any comments calling you lazy or uninterested. Getting 2-3 passes won't hurt you but a hint at lack of work ethic will
(08-06-2018, 04:34 PM)Guest Wrote: I've sat in on Match meetings, and everyone realizes that it is very subjective, but if you have a bunch of low-passes and/or no Honors, then it might affect you.  Obviously not as important, your personality, personal achievements, and most importantly - research.

Since you have experience on these committees, how much does class rank factor into this?
Hi, wanted to ask about this again. Our rotation grade depends on our shelf score. If you don't get an A on a shelf, you can't get an A in the rotation. So I ended up with a 95 in the rotation, but a B on the shelf so my school will report a B on my transcript.

How much do these scores matter, especially in the fields of Surgery, IM, and Neurology? Will interviews/ranks be affected by these?
Surgery and neurology are particularly important but if you're a superstar otherwise you can get away without honors.
Hey guys, how does this change for individuals with a lower step 1 (between 220-230) but with top notch research? Thanks!
(08-26-2019, 07:43 PM)Guest Wrote: Hey guys, how does this change for individuals with a lower step 1 (between 220-230) but with top notch research? Thanks!

You're in a tough place unless you have a PhD with basic science papers in top journals. Academically, you need to redeem yourself with flawless clerkship performances and a strong CK score.
(08-26-2019, 09:18 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 07:43 PM)Guest Wrote: Hey guys, how does this change for individuals with a lower step 1 (between 220-230) but with top notch research? Thanks!

You're in a tough place unless you have a PhD with basic science papers in top journals. Academically, you need to redeem yourself with flawless clerkship performances and a strong CK score.

Thanks for the reply! Should I bother applying? Clinical grades mostly pass (haven’t don’t surgery yet). I do have first-author basic science neurosurgery papers in decent journals though. Also have significant research with a really well known “top surgeon.” The things that are holding me back are 220-230 step 1 and lackluster clinical grades so far. Sad

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)