Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LETTERS
If you get a letter from an away, are you supposed to use that letter in your application to that program? What's the point in sending a chair/PD their own opinion on you? 

Also, if I have an away ending September 28th am I expected to rush them to submit a letter by Oct 1st? On one hand I already have 4 letters so it's not exactly needed. On the other hand it looks bad to not include a letter from a sub-i...
In theory, no program knows where you do sub-Is until they see a letter from that place, so I wouldn't say it "looks bad" to not include a letter from a sub-I.
Continuing on this, is it appropriate to ask for a letter early in the rotation? If you have done your clinic days with the PD or Chair early, would it be appropriate to ask them in the middle of the rotation for a letter, if it is a september rotation and your goal is to get the letter uploaded by ERAS submission?
(09-05-2018, 03:04 PM)Guest Wrote: Continuing on this, is it appropriate to ask for a letter early in the rotation? If you have done your clinic days with the PD or Chair early, would it be appropriate to ask them in the middle of the rotation for a letter, if it is a september rotation and your goal is to get the letter uploaded by ERAS submission?

You should absolutely ask the admin for PD and chair (or directly, if approachable) for a sit-down meeting during week 2, 3 or 4. You can ask for a letter then. Everyone knows that it is coming, it's not as scary or awkward to ask as you may think. 
Letters can be uploaded after ERAS opens, not critical to have all letters ready right away.
What should we do if we get a new letter now that apps have been submitted? Do we just assign it and it gets sent in? Or do we have to update all programs with the letter?
(09-24-2018, 08:37 PM)Guest Wrote: What should we do if we get a new letter now that apps have been submitted? Do we just assign it and it gets sent in? Or do we have to update all programs with the letter?

bump
If you get another letter after submitting apps you'll have to send them to each individual program coordinator and ask them to update your app.
(05-08-2019, 01:59 PM)Guest Wrote: If you get another letter after submitting apps you'll have to send them to each individual program coordinator and ask them to update your app.

I was under the impression that you could submit two letters with ERAS, then add the third before October 1st.
You “can” do whatever you want. Regardless, many programs will already be going through applications shortly after ERAS opens. So that letter may not help you if they have already passed you up.
(05-08-2019, 06:54 PM)Guest Wrote: You “can” do whatever you want. Regardless, many programs will already be going through applications shortly after ERAS opens. So that letter may not help you if they have already passed you up.

Will see if I can acquire the letter from my september away by ERAS opening. Not ideal but I think the chair will understand.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)