Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low Scores/Grades but Unique
Hey all;

I'm a very unique applicant.  I was a Gates-Cambridge scholar before medical school, and I played in the MLS for two years.  My Step score is a 202 and I passed all my clerkships so far (no HP or H).  I'm in the bottom quartiles of my class in a historically primary care centered school.  I haven't done any research.

Would my Fullbright, URM status, and MLS experience be enough to set me apart.

I understand there is a former NFL player who was a Rhodes scholar who has a similar background to me and whom interviewed at a lot of top schools this year despite scores/school/grades being low like mine.
dude face it, the only thing you have is a scholarship that, frankly, means almost nothing for the field of neurosurgery. You have done nothing to show your interest in it. Also, you have nothing showing that you excel in the field of medicine from looking at your very subpar board score and clinical grades. I don't understand what you want us to say? Did you think people would be head over heels for you since you are a Fullbright scholar and a MLS player?
It would certainly set you apart, and possibly get you an interview or two. The discussion behind closed doors though, would likely be about those factors being your only assets and then the red flags of poor clinical and academic performance. If, somehow, you can show that you actually know what you're doing and can be the kind of resident they need, it may sway people. If you are truly committed, go on some subI rotations and get strong letters. By the way, do you have any research?
In the event that you are not just a troll, don't waste your time. There are no programs out there that will overlook your med school years and your board scores in favor of your extra curricula activities. Sit down with your Dean and find a specialty that might be suited for you. Otherwise, you will fail matching and at best will lose another year. Or worse, will end up having to leave medicine. In terms you can relate to: right now, your chance of matching into NS are worse than you playing center for Barcelona next year. This is the rest of your life, get off your 15 minutes of fame high and get serious. If you are a troll, get a life regardless.
http://blackdoctor.org/512383/myron-roll...rosurgeon/

I'll just leave this here...he'll likely match better than a lot of you here.
(02-17-2017, 04:12 PM)Guest Wrote: http://blackdoctor.org/512383/myron-roll...rosurgeon/

I'll just leave this here...he'll likely match better than a lot of you here.

^yup. I can't speak for his grades etc but he's one of the most accomplished / nicest people I've ever met. Also, he's done research.

To the original poster: gates-cambridge ≠ fulbright ≠ rhodes. And MLS ≠ NFL (not saying MLS isn't cool, though).

How can you expect to make it through a neurosurgery residency if you can't get high-pass in basic rotations?  Undecided
You have next to no chance of matching in neurosurgery unless you wow your chairman and program director at your home program (assuming you have one)
You will not match at the ivory tower programs. But if you truly are dedicated to becoming a neurosurgeon then you can become one. You might have to take some time to research, try and prelim years, and get a little lucky.
lol this board is savage
I don't see much difference here between the OP and the football player in that link.....won't most PD eat this stuff up???

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)