Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No phone calls or emails!!
Not sure if it's me alone but I didn't receive any phone call or email of ranking me to match there or any serious message that you can read between the lines. I sent my number1 and other programs I ranked very highly telling them so and all what I got were generic emails like "thanks for letting us know and everyone thought highly of you." I guess you should expect more from a program if they are really ranking you in their top spots.

I am freaking out now because I have been hearing that most applicants match at their number 1 (especially home and sub-i program). I thought I was a descent applicant with >15 interviews...I just feel crap now Confused
(02-23-2017, 02:33 PM)Not positive... Wrote: Not sure if it's me alone but I didn't receive any phone call or email of ranking me to match there or any serious message that you can read between the lines. I sent my number1 and other programs I ranked very highly telling them so and all what I got were generic emails like "thanks for letting us know and everyone thought highly of you." I guess you should expect more from a program if they are really ranking you in their top spots.

I am freaking out now because I have been hearing that most applicants match at their number 1 (especially home and sub-i program). I thought I was a descent applicant with >15 interviews...I just feel crap now Confused

Nothing to do now about it now, but it is very atypical  for competitive applicants to not be receiving such communication from multiple programs. Just try not be upset on match day if you fall down your rank list significantly. There are a few programs that have firm no communication policies, but they make that known at the interview.
(02-23-2017, 03:39 PM)nothing to do Wrote:
(02-23-2017, 02:33 PM)Not positive... Wrote: Not sure if it's me alone but I didn't receive any phone call or email of ranking me to match there or any serious message that you can read between the lines. I sent my number1 and other programs I ranked very highly telling them so and all what I got were generic emails like "thanks for letting us know and everyone thought highly of you." I guess you should expect more from a program if they are really ranking you in their top spots.

Nothing to do now about it now, but it is very atypical  for competitive applicants to not be receiving such communication from multiple programs. Just try not be upset on match day if you fall down your rank list significantly. There are a few programs that have firm no communication policies, but they make that known at the interview.

Really? Is it typical for applicants to receive emails from programs telling them they are at the top of their list? I thought generic responses are the typical scenario.
think thats game over
Noncommital messages and phone calls are common.
(02-23-2017, 06:17 PM)Guest Wrote: think thats game over

I just hope I would not match with this asshole

It is a violation for any program to communicate, in any way, that they are ranking you to match. At best, top candidates will get some canned " we really liked you" or " we are interested in you" etc., in the form of calls by usually senior residents or some PD. In many cases, they do not really intend to rank you to match, rather they want you to rank them high in case their top choices go somewhere else. This type of communication is a very small indication of your chance to match there or not. I assure you that most people who match at their top choices, never got any of these calls. Biggest reason people don't match at their top choices is that they over reach when making the ROL. All that said, if your home PD calls you in and tells you that he/she had a call from XYZ program PD or chair and that they asked about you and expressed interest or spoke highly of you, then you can take that to the bank as they don't BS each other.
(02-23-2017, 08:18 PM) pid=\473' Wrote:

It is a violation for any program to communicate, in any way, that they are ranking you to match. At best, top candidates will get some canned " we really liked you" or " we are interested in you" etc., in the form of calls by usually senior residents or some PD. In many cases, they do not really intend to rank you to match, rather they want you to rank them high in case their top choices go somewhere else. This type of communication is a very small indication of your chance to match there or not. I assure you that most people who match at their top choices, never got any of these calls. Biggest reason people don't match at their top choices is that they over reach when making the ROL. All that said, if your home PD calls you in and tells you that he/she had a call from XYZ program PD or chair and that they asked about you and expressed interest or spoke highly of you, then you can take that to the bank as they don't BS each other.
 Its not a violation for them to say you're ranked to match. I've been told multiple times im ramked to match and several programs asked me what my #1 is. If they want you, they tell you.
(02-23-2017, 08:24 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-23-2017, 08:18 PM)pid=\473 Wrote:

Its not a violation for them to say you're ranked to match. I've been told multiple times im ramked to match and several programs asked me what my #1 is. If they want you, they tell you.

From NRMP Main Residency Match Policy Statement: "Both applicants and programs may express their interest in each other; however, they shall not solicit verbal or written statements implying a commitment." 

I do not disagree however that it can happen.
Lots of people match after having not received any phone calls or emails telling them they are ranked.  There are also people that fail to match after receiving calls.  All of this is very program dependent.  Many programs (>50%) won't say anything at all or will simply provide generic response emails.  Other programs call a large portion of the applicants they interview.  Truthfully, most neurosurgery applicants who do well on Sub-is and interview well will make good residents and the match process tends to put people into programs where they will fit.  Your match list should be solely based on where you want to go and not on whether or not you received an email or call from a program.  

Long story short, it's not a big deal to not get phone calls unless other people are getting calls to places at the top of your list. If you get a phone call telling you that you are ranked to match, it means that you are ranked within however many rank slots the program typically requires to match - maybe top 5 or 10 or more.  These phrases are pretty meaningless.  Similarly, telling a program you are ranking them highly is meaningless as this could mean anymore from 1-20.  It's only beneficial when you tell a program you are ranking them number one, and for a lot of programs this still won't affect where they rank you as they may still have people they prefer over you.

Finally, it is not illegal for you to tell a program that you are ranking them number one.  It is also not illegal for them to tell you where you are ranked, take this with a grain of salt as some PDs/Chairmen have made a habit of lying to applicants through the years.   It is illegal for either side to solicit ranks from the other.  Programs should not be asking you to tell them where they ranked as it is a match violation and inappropriate.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)