Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NYU
During sub I you are not required to take night call, but you will likely have to take weekend call (although it can be only once or twice during the month if there are a lot of other Sub Is rotating). The residents are great to work with, and most of the faculty do a great job of teaching (a few less so than others, but not outside of the normal distribution). Most importantly, the residents are awesome. The chiefs and juniors teach the whole time and let you participate in operations as much as they can. That being said, you do more when you work at the community hospital (Bellevue) than when you are working at their main hospital, but you open, make burr holes, open dura and close on a regular basis. The large element that is missing (although maybe not missed) is the floor work. The floors are largely taken care of by a PAs and NPs and in the morning there are no patient presentations beyond a quick rundown of overnight events. Because of this system, you may have to help out with consults after a long day in the OR, but there is no real independence; it's a team effort. As far as program structure goes, research is not the main focus, and that is made obvious by the lack of guaranteed research time. That being said, residents publish, and NYU in general has a huge research environment, so they are trying to move in that direction. If they want to maintain the same amount of resident coverage they have now AND have a dedicated research year, then they probably need 3rd student each year, something that has been "in the works" for a while now. Overall: chill sub I, good experience, and the program is on the rise (has been attracting some big names over the last few years)

source: did a sub i there

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)