Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sub I at reach schools
Should we be doing Sub I at reach schools or try for schools that may be more safety wise.  And is there a range of schools for step score ranges.  And are step scores all that matter?

260+: ?
240-260: ?
220-240: ?

Thanks!
Totally up to you... There are lots of valid reasons to pick programs for Sub-Is. Mostly people pick programs they *think* they are going to be interested in and rank highly, often times they will change their mind (I ranked one of my aways dead last, ranked a program I didn't rotate first and matched there). This is an expensive process and most of these academics neurosurgeons know each other, so a letter from a chairman at most places will carry weight if you crush the sub-I and get an obviously strong letter. Most of the sub-I's are filled first come first serve (to some extent), there isn't a huge culling process to get a sub-I. 

Ultimately, don't feel that a sub-I a 'reach' is a waste, if you are interested in that program and they allow you to come spend a month, do it. If you feel that its better to spend your time with programs that, statistically, are closer to your application, thats just fine too. You could be a stud muffin on paper and go piss around at a program that isn't a 'reach' and shoot yourself in the foot, or can be a stellar sub-I at a 'reach' and they decide they have to have you. So just pick where you want to take a closer look, let them decide if you can come sub-I. Don't over think the process, just go work hard and don't annoy the shit out of the residents. It will work out...
a good strategy is to do two at non-reach programs and one at a reach that you are very interested in. However, if your application is weak (low steps, questionable grades, low research, etc.) then your sub-I strategy should first be to just match rather than get too picky about where. For example do two at non-reach programs and one at a lower one where you already have good stats to match.

It is important to establish a "backstop". That is a program that you know you have a great chance to match such as your home program or one you do a sub-I at and you kill it and it is communicated to you and your stats are solidly in their range. This "backstop" gives you a huge advantage when mapping out your process. Some home programs who really like you tell you that you will be ranked to match early on to give you that security blanket.

High step scores get you in the door easier and a more serious consideration. But so do other factors such as your sub-I performance, your home program stature, an amazing research record, your advocates/letters, etc.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)