Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late to discover neurosurgery
I am currently finishing up my MS3 year and on my surgery rotation.  Just finished my NSGY sub-rotation and absolutely fell in love.  Really cannot see myself doing anything else.  The problem is that I never considered this possibility before and don't really have any legit research to speak of.  

I have a 255-260 Step 1, top 10% of my average-ranking SE US MD school, am junior AOA, and have great 3rd year marks.  When it comes to research I only have 2 poster presentations on some basic science immunology stuff; no pubs.  

Should I give up on the idea of NSGY entirely?  Should I consider a year off? The idea of not matching terrifies me.

Thanks!
Depends which bruins you root for. The winners or the fags.
(02-25-2017, 10:49 PM)Guest Wrote: Depends which bruins you root for. The winners or the fags.

They both suck
(02-25-2017, 09:08 PM)Bruins08 Wrote: I am currently finishing up my MS3 year and on my surgery rotation.  Just finished my NSGY sub-rotation and absolutely fell in love.  Really cannot see myself doing anything else.  The problem is that I never considered this possibility before and don't really have any legit research to speak of.  

I have a 255-260 Step 1, top 10% of my average-ranking SE US MD school, am junior AOA, and have great 3rd year marks.  When it comes to research I only have 2 poster presentations on some basic science immunology stuff; no pubs.  

Should I give up on the idea of NSGY entirely?  Should I consider a year off? The idea of not matching terrifies me.

Thanks!

with your step 1 score and grades I think you have a good shot of matching.  If you are interested in more academic type places, you should take a year off for research as you will not be competitive for many of those programs without more research (though with a year off for research you would/could be in great shape).  

If you want to play it safe regarding match then take a year off and work hard to get research stuff done.  Talk to the residents at your home program if you have one to see if they have projects you could get involved with and try to find one or two faculty mentors to help guide you towards research projects.  

If not taking a research year I would work to get involved in some clinical research projects ASAP.  If it is something that can get published quickly great, but it is still good to have some projects to list on your cv and talk about at interviews.  

don't be intimidated by the internet posters who have been invested in neurosurgery since elementary school.  Most people are not like this and many people don't decide on neurosurgery until third year.
You're fine but work on getting a publication ASAP. Meet with your home department chair and program director to express your interest in neurosurgery. Then try to publish some case reports which are usually pretty easy.
Your CV is almost identical to mine at the same point. I got into some easy clinical publications and worked on crushing sub-i rotations at strong programs. If you have a well-rounded CV and good letters by the time you apply in September there's nothing that'll stop you from matching. Of course, if you do want to shoot for one of these top-tier, research-heavy programs you'd benefit from doing a research year. But if not, why waste a year of your life in the lab? You'll still go to a strong clinical program and become a neurosurgeon.
You're looking pretty good as an MS3, if you can get some nsg relevant publication then great but it isn't required to match into a nsg residency. You may have trouble getting the attention of the top programs without it but otherwise you're ok.

If your goal is to match at any NSG residency then just do well on sub-is get good letters, apply broadly, and interview well.

Good luck
No you have the step 1 covered. Other stuff doesn't matter. You will match
(04-08-2017, 09:10 PM)Guest Wrote: No you have the step 1 covered.  Other stuff doesn't matter.  You will match

You should register the username Step1guy so I know to ignore you
(04-08-2017, 09:10 PM)Guest Wrote: No you have the step 1 covered.  Other stuff doesn't matter.  You will match

Lol this is the same person posting this garbage on every single thread. You are a tool.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)