Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transferring Programs
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice from residents and attendings on transferring programs. On match day, i was surprised to fall down my rank list. I knew i wasn't the only one who this happened to and I sucked it up and worked hard to make the best of my program. I also built some good relationships with the people I work with here. I initially had concerns about the program my intern year but brushed them off.

I'm a PGY2 now and as things progress, I realize that my program has significant flaws to the point where I will not be adequately trained. To put it simply, the operative volume and autonomy is very poor and I'm surprised that this program was able to sustain itself. I don't believe our graduates are well-trained nor are my co-residents meeting their appropriate milestones. I thought my program was big on research but there's a significant lack of commitment to teaching and research by our faculty. 

The problem is, I don't have a personal reason or extreme circumstance to justify transferring to another program. In fact, my family is actually nearby. I've heard of arrangements for people with significant others far away or a family member who is ill. But my reason would only be because i fear being inadequately trained here.  I also understand that there may be a lot of residents who are in a similar situation to me. Is there anything that I can do?
Situations are rarely improved by transferring neurosurgery programs, you tend to "fall down the list" even more. Transferring to other specialties may not follow that rule.
Only one thing to do: be an all star in your current program.
Your training doesn’t end in residency
You will be in training for the first 5-10 years after you graduate
You need to focus on graduating
As a pgy2 you don’t know anything so my best advice to you is that keep your head down and do what you are told and you will be a neurosurgeon in 7 years
the above is sage advice. if you are suffering from low operative volume, take the time to read everything you can get your hands on so you can know the anatomy and literature with your eyes closed.

and publish as many papers as you can. be the best motherlovin resident your program has ever had, then you can walk into any fellowship you want to get the extra training you want.

if you try to jump ship, everyone will think less of you. the above will make them respect you.

get some.
If you are unhappy with the education at your program, then make the choice that will help you get the best education you can. You have to be bold, brave, and smart. People switch programs and make it through their training just fine. Find a mentor who will support you
(12-11-2018, 06:40 PM)Guest Wrote: If you are unhappy with the education at your program, then make the choice that will help you get the best education you can. You have to be bold, brave, and smart. People switch programs and make it through their training just fine. Find a mentor who will support you

Snowflake
(12-11-2018, 06:40 PM)Guest Wrote: If you are unhappy with the education at your program, then make the choice that will help you get the best education you can. You have to be bold, brave, and smart. People switch programs and make it through their training just fine. Find a mentor who will support you

i am extremely unhappy at my current program and want to switch. what is the best way to go about doing this? I am living everyday in constant fear. looking for genuine help.
anyone?
(02-15-2019, 12:36 PM)Guest Wrote: anyone?

You got some great advice above. Find a mentor who you can confide in. If you want to discuss specifics you can message me I guess but the the big thing is being honest with someone about it. You can discuss it with your program director too but bouncing your frustrations off of someone confidentially would be helpful. There may be solutions other than transferring.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)