Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step score and schools to do a sub-i
I was wondering if anyone could list a few schools for each step 1 score. Obviously there are many other factors but let's assume average everything else (grades, research, LOR).
What would be good schools to apply to, and a safety or two for each of the following:

260+:
240-259:
220-239:
210-220:

Obviously top programs if you scored a 260+. Really just looking for a few schools in the other categories. I'm assuming no programs if <210 but please add a school or 2 for this category  if you think they would still have a shot and should do a sub-i.

Thanks!
bump bump bump
Deciding whether a program is a reach or a safety for someone is far too complicated to determine by board score alone.
(03-01-2017, 11:18 PM)Neuron Wrote: Deciding whether a program is a reach or a safety for someone is far too complicated to determine by board score alone.

Can you please explain more what goes into determining if a program is a reach
(03-03-2017, 11:26 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-01-2017, 11:18 PM)Neuron Wrote: Deciding whether a program is a reach or a safety for someone is far too complicated to determine by board score alone.

Can you please explain more what goes into determining if a program is a reach

1. Go to program website.
2. Look at current residents.
3. Look at CV and PubMed.
4. Compare to yourself.
First, NRMP Match Data and Survey Data are a good source to answer this question.

But if you want to focus on Step I scores, Here is a fun exercise that is more than nothing:

Create a spreadsheet with 3 columns, "Program Name", "Rank", "# of residents accepted". ( Rank=(Doximity Rank + USNews Rank)/2... or if you want, substitute your own ranking method)

Sort the spreadsheet by Rank. Find the program that falls in middle of the # of Residency spots. So, for example, if there are a total of 200 spots in the listed programs, find the point where your "# of Residents Accepted" column adds to 100 give or take. Lets say this is ProgramX which is "Ranked" # 45 on your spreadsheet.

If 245 is the average matched Step Score, then you can stretch and assume that programs above the ProgramX have, roughly on average, higher Step scores (among other things) than the ones below ProgramX. Of course assumption would be that the higher above ProgramX, higher the stats required.

If nothing else, the list becomes handy during the interview process when you have to make fast interview scheduling and cancellation decisions based on your own stats for programs that you are not familiar with.
(03-03-2017, 02:31 PM)Guest Wrote: First, NRMP Match Data and Survey Data are a good source to answer this question.

But if you want to focus on Step I scores, Here is a fun exercise  that is more than nothing:

Create a spreadsheet with 3 columns, "Program Name", "Rank", "# of residents accepted". ( Rank=(Doximity Rank + USNews Rank)/2... or if you want, substitute your own ranking method)

Sort the spreadsheet by Rank. Find the program that falls in middle of the # of Residency spots. So, for example, if there are a total of 200 spots in the listed programs, find the point where your "# of Residents Accepted" column adds to 100 give or take. Lets say this is ProgramX which is "Ranked" # 45 on your spreadsheet.

If 245 is the average matched Step Score, then you can stretch and assume that programs above the ProgramX have, roughly on average,  higher Step scores (among other things) than the ones below ProgramX. Of course assumption would be that the higher above ProgramX, higher the stats required.

If nothing else, the list becomes handy during the interview process when you have to make fast interview scheduling and cancellation decisions based on your own stats for programs that you are not familiar with.

[Image: 14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg]

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)