Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private Practice
Where are the best programs to go train if I want to just go into private practice?
(12-13-2018, 11:29 AM)Guest Wrote: Where are the best programs to go train if I want to just go into private practice?

Community-based orthopedic surgery programs with a spine fellowship.
^The saddest thing is that this is actually true. >90% of private practice neurosurg is spine and most people do a ton of spine even if they're trying to build a cranial practice. I honestly kind of regret not doing ortho - happy/chill residents, happy attendings, Q8 call, patients are all happy, healthy, and grateful. Similar money and honestly probably better academic spine (Lenke, Vaccaro, Albert, etc.) But I'm in the middle of my PGY-3 year so take this with a grain of salt.
(12-13-2018, 02:51 PM)Guest Wrote: ^The saddest thing is that this is actually true. >90% of private practice neurosurg is spine and most people do a ton of spine even if they're trying to build a cranial practice. I honestly kind of regret not doing ortho - happy/chill residents, happy attendings, Q8 call, patients are all happy, healthy, and grateful. Similar money and honestly probably better academic spine (Lenke, Vaccaro, Albert, etc.) But I'm in the middle of my PGY-3 year so take this with a grain of salt.

Second this.  I'm a newish attending at an academic program, fellowship trained in cranial.  I do 90% spine, shunts, and wound washouts.  The cranial cases I do are the garbage the senior guys don't want to do.  All of the private interviews I went on cared was if I could do spine.  This field is dying.  They should make spine its own specialty, and "neuro" its own, and 5 years.
(12-13-2018, 02:51 PM)Guest Wrote: ^The saddest thing is that this is actually true. >90% of private practice neurosurg is spine and most people do a ton of spine even if they're trying to build a cranial practice. I honestly kind of regret not doing ortho - happy/chill residents, happy attendings, Q8 call, patients are all happy, healthy, and grateful. Similar money and honestly probably better academic spine (Lenke, Vaccaro, Albert, etc.) But I'm in the middle of my PGY-3 year so take this with a grain of salt.
just do spine man
What if your goal is intracranial stuff? How long until you can get 40%+ of your practice cranial?
Do a fellowship and go academic.
(12-13-2018, 03:16 PM)Guest Wrote:
just do spine man

I'm gonna try and do an enfolded. I just regret not doing the ortho 5 + 1. My life would be so much better right now if I were doing hip and knee replacements with chill guys instead of taking Q2 stroke call.
(12-13-2018, 07:38 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 03:16 PM)Guest Wrote:
just do spine man

I'm gonna try and do an enfolded. I just regret not doing the ortho 5 + 1. My life would be so much better right now if I were doing hip and knee replacements with chill guys instead of taking Q2 stroke call.

Your life would be better if you were more talented too
I love how a PGY-3 brings up "happy/chill residents" in ortho and and is subsequently bashed in stereotypical toxic NS fashion by a fellow NS resident.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)