Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview Offer Stats Survey (for posterity)
I know everyone wishes they had more info about their competitiveness at certain programs prior to submitting ERAS.  I've created a form asking for your stats and where you received interview invitations.  If we can get enough responses, I'll crunch the numbers on the means and ranges for each school's USMLE scores, AOA, pubs, etc. and get them into a PDF that will be available to everyone. Hopefully this process can be improved for next year's applicants.

Well aware of the caveats of doing this anonymously, but think of how useful this would have been for you, so please consider doing this and being honest.

Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQ...A/viewform
So - maybe this'll minimize some work for you. But Texas usually does a survey along the lines of this for every specialty - called the Texas STAR data. This last year, they opened it up to basically everyone and there were a good number of responses on the neurosurgery end... I imagine more than you *may* get on neurosurgeryhub

If you google around enough, you can probably find a copy of this somewhere from last year.... and I'm sure even more folks will fill it out this next year Smile
That would be awesome if they would release it to everyone. Unfortunately, looks like it's just available to UT students for now. 

Good number of responses so far here.  UAB definitely a winner for offering the most # of interviews.
Definitively unlikely to be related to its position in the alphabet.
Yale and UNC are up there too.  UAB makes sense... half of the people I've met on the trail have complained about being put on the waitlist there.
any results from this?
So far I have about 30 responses. A good start, but I feel that to publish any data reflective of any particular school's stats, I need about 50% of the number of invited applicants to share their data.  For example, a 3/yr program inviting ~60 applicants would need ~30 data sets.  I have a couple of schools that are approaching what I estimate to be that number. Yale still in the lead for most number of invites. 

If it helps to convince other people to share their stats who might be skeptical about the legitimacy of this data set, here's are the current numbers that show some internal consistency with some of the NRMP data from last year.

Avg Step 1: 250
Avg Step 2: 255
Number of SubIs: 3
PhD: 14%
Other grad degree: 43%
Top 40 NIH: 48%
Avg # 1st author pubs: 4
Avg total presentations: 18
Step 2 available before ERAS: 52%
Avg # of applications sent: 66

Neuro honors: 77%
Surgery honors: 64%
IM honors: 55%

Check that against the NRMP data
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2...eniors.pdf

This is of course intuitive, but there is a statistically significant association with the # of 1st author pubs or total pubs and attending a school with Top 40 NIH funding.  

Once we get a few more people to share their data, we can probably start crunching the numbers of individual schools.  If anyone has any suggestions for how to get more people to contribute, I'm open to suggestions.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)