Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
Late to the game?
Hi everyone! I'm halfway through M3 and realizing that I really want to do neurosurgery. I know most people don't stumble into neurosurgery, so I'm wondering what's the best way to proceed. 

School: top school with a weak home program
Step 1: 265
Grades: all honors so far
Research: all non-neurosurgery
2 first author papers (1 basic science)
3 first author textbook chapters
3 non-first author papers
5 poster presentations

Would appreciate any advice.
You seem like you may be interested in academics. If that's the case consider a year off. Otherwise try to scramble for a case report or tw9.
You’ll be fine, agree with above, try to get on something neurosurgical submitted
I think you will be OK to match without a year off. Would def get some NSGY projects started and get to know your home program
Hi Guys,
I am an MD Phd and recently developed interest in neurosurgery during my rotations. I am in my late 30s and was wondering how much that would factor into my chances to match.
Doesn't matter man as long as your maturity shines through. Should actually be an advantage IMO.
(01-02-2019, 11:39 AM)Guest Wrote: Hi Guys,
I am an MD Phd and recently developed interest in neurosurgery during my rotations. I am in my late 30s and was wondering how much that would factor into my chances to match.

late thirties would mean that you will start practicing in your mid-late 40's. that only gives you 15-20 years to practice as a surgeon. there are four  disadvantages to that: (1) it doesn't give you a lot of time to build a practice (2) you would have a harder time to leave your first position out of residency, as switching markets after 5 years would eat into your "glory years" (mid 40s-mid-50s) (3) A lot of training happens after residency, in early attending years. it would be hard to capitalize on that training if you are only in practice for 15-20 years. (4) you are not leaving lots of time to earn income to save for retirement: your forties are peak earning time, if you are in residency for half of that time, it might effect your ability to retire when you want.

I hope I don't dissuade you from neurosurgery--anything is possible given the right circumstances. But, it might be worth thinking through these issues before applying. maybe even with a senior level mentor and/or a financial planner. 

I hope that helps.
Concur with the above advice. Neurosurgery is a young mans game. Not that it can’t be done but the road is hard. One of the biggest predictors of dropping out of neurosurgery is age.

Honestly, I recommend finding another specialty that is not as physically demanding.
(01-02-2019, 07:46 PM)Guest Wrote: Concur with the above advice. Neurosurgery is a young mans game. Not that it can’t be done but the road is hard. One of the biggest predictors of dropping out of neurosurgery is age.

Honestly, I recommend finding another specialty that is not as physically demanding.

"One of the biggest predictors of dropping out of neurosurgery is age." Unless that person has a PhD (like OP), then age is not a predictor
If you like it go for it. What a lot of these people aren’t telling you is that there are a decent number of people who completed residency in other countries and came to the US to do it. Certainly they have an easier time because of their knowledge, but they are still residents again, and that takes a toll on you. They survive, MD/PHDs survive, and so will you. The question is if it’s what you want to do with your life. If that’s a yes then speak with advisors. Not people on this forum. Being on the trail I’ve realized the level of misinformation propagated here that places the specialty on a pedastel. It isn’t something removed from reality, it is like anything else, a career. Talk to atrendings at your school and get their take. Worst case - cold email attendings at other schools and see what hey say. It’s the rest of your life, get as much advice as you can, from credible sources.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)