Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Buffalo
Anybody have any experience with or insight into the sub-i experience at Buffalo? Haven't found any information on the forums about it and am really interested to hear what people have to say
Pretty standard overall, minimal responsibilities for the most part as a subI. Generally do 2 weeks at BGH, the main service, 1 week on peds (with Dr. Reynolds the PD), and 1 week at Roswell Park. Don't really present patients or have work responsibilities for morning rounds at BGH, you just follow one of the residents to see patients, and then you get to choose from whatever cases you want divided up between the subI's. Case complexity/mix was really good in my opinion, lots of vascular of course, but good spine and tumors as well. On peds you will see patients in morning and present them to Dr Reynolds and Dr Li on rounds. Lots of clinic, but thats standard peds. At Roswell Park you just show up for clinic/OR/gamma knife, not really anything for you to do here. At BGH you can go to the angio suite to get a taste for the endovascular experience. One subI goes to Levy's clinic each week, this was probably the highlight of the rotation as he lets you independently see a patient, present directly to him, and then actually respects your opinion if you know what you're talking about. All the subI's go in for saturday rounds/cases, but one will stay for call until Sunday morning, otherwise no call during the week. So you may only have one call the whole rotation if there are many subI's. Hours were not bad at all, generally show up around 5ish depending on what the junior wants you to do, end anywhere from 6-8ish depending on the caseload. SubI's can get called on during grand rounds to answer questions so make sure you've done your reading. Give a standard talk at the end on research/case/topic/etc. What you get to do in OR depends entirely on the resident you are working with, some are more/less interested in getting you involved than others. Overall, I thought it was a very strong program with good volume.
I've heard of multiple subIs who decided not to do neurosurgery after rotating there.
yup exactly
I heard that too, but the hours weren’t bad, not really a buddy buddy type of program but I definitely wouldn’t call it malignant, so I can’t see how it would dissuade you from neurosurgery unless you were already not cut out for it to begin with.
(01-23-2019, 04:20 PM)Guest Wrote: Pretty standard overall, minimal responsibilities for the most part as a subI. Generally do 2 weeks at BGH, the main service, 1 week on peds (with Dr. Reynolds the PD), and 1 week at Roswell Park. Don't really present patients or have work responsibilities for morning rounds at BGH, you just follow one of the residents to see patients, and then you get to choose from whatever cases you want divided up between the subI's. Case complexity/mix was really good in my opinion, lots of vascular of course, but good spine and tumors as well. On peds you will see patients in morning and present them to Dr Reynolds and Dr Li on rounds. Lots of clinic, but thats standard peds. At Roswell Park you just show up for clinic/OR/gamma knife, not really anything for you to do here. At BGH you can go to the angio suite to get a taste for the endovascular experience. One subI goes to Levy's clinic each week, this was probably the highlight of the rotation as he lets you independently see a patient, present directly to him, and then actually respects your opinion if you know what you're talking about. All the subI's go in for saturday rounds/cases, but one will stay for call until Sunday morning, otherwise no call during the week. So you may only have one call the whole rotation if there are many subI's. Hours were not bad at all, generally show up around 5ish depending on what the junior wants you to do, end anywhere from 6-8ish depending on the caseload. SubI's can get called on during grand rounds to answer questions so make sure you've done your reading. Give a standard talk at the end on research/case/topic/etc. What you get to do in OR depends entirely on the resident you are working with, some are more/less interested in getting you involved than others. Overall, I thought it was a very strong program with good volume.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply! Seems like a decent experience overall

(01-23-2019, 10:13 PM)Guest Wrote: I've heard of multiple subIs who decided not to do neurosurgery after rotating there.

Interesting — any idea why that was the case?
(01-27-2019, 12:06 PM)sufficientcurrency Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 04:20 PM)Guest Wrote: Pretty standard overall, minimal responsibilities for the most part as a subI. Generally do 2 weeks at BGH, the main service, 1 week on peds (with Dr. Reynolds the PD), and 1 week at Roswell Park. Don't really present patients or have work responsibilities for morning rounds at BGH, you just follow one of the residents to see patients, and then you get to choose from whatever cases you want divided up between the subI's. Case complexity/mix was really good in my opinion, lots of vascular of course, but good spine and tumors as well. On peds you will see patients in morning and present them to Dr Reynolds and Dr Li on rounds. Lots of clinic, but thats standard peds. At Roswell Park you just show up for clinic/OR/gamma knife, not really anything for you to do here. At BGH you can go to the angio suite to get a taste for the endovascular experience. One subI goes to Levy's clinic each week, this was probably the highlight of the rotation as he lets you independently see a patient, present directly to him, and then actually respects your opinion if you know what you're talking about. All the subI's go in for saturday rounds/cases, but one will stay for call until Sunday morning, otherwise no call during the week. So you may only have one call the whole rotation if there are many subI's. Hours were not bad at all, generally show up around 5ish depending on what the junior wants you to do, end anywhere from 6-8ish depending on the caseload. SubI's can get called on during grand rounds to answer questions so make sure you've done your reading. Give a standard talk at the end on research/case/topic/etc. What you get to do in OR depends entirely on the resident you are working with, some are more/less interested in getting you involved than others. Overall, I thought it was a very strong program with good volume.

(01-23-2019, 10:13 PM)Guest Wrote: I've heard of multiple subIs who decided not to do neurosurgery after rotating there.

Probably because they realized they were not good neurosurgery applicants. This comment had nothing to do with buffalo. But if some snowflake wants to be a neurosurgeon because they watched grays anatomy or read Ben Carson’s book they usually don’t last through the application process. Who would change their life goals because of a rotation?
(01-27-2019, 04:13 PM)Guest Wrote:

Probably because they realized they were not good neurosurgery applicants. This comment had nothing to do with buffalo. But if some snowflake wants to be a neurosurgeon because they watched grays anatomy or read Ben Carson’s book they usually don’t last through the application process. Who would change their life goals because of a rotation?

Thanks, Buffalo apologizer
(01-27-2019, 06:07 PM)Guest Wrote:

Didn’t apologize for Buffalo at all. And you didn’t answer the question at all. Enjoy anesthesia residency.
(01-27-2019, 06:44 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 06:07 PM)Guest Wrote:

Didn’t apologize for Buffalo at all. And you didn’t answer the question at all. Enjoy anesthesia residency.
Lol I'm at the program you actually wanted to be at. What are you, a Buffalo PGY2?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)