Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Program and Phone Calls
I like my home program but it is not my number one choice. Do I ask my program director or chair to make phone calls to two of the programs I am interested? I am being recruited to stay and would be happy here.  Do other applicants face this dilemma?
i'm in the same boat
Same here, met with my chair today for this purpose. I think the general consensus is it's worth it to meet with your chair, lay out your wishes, and let them act as they see fit.
(01-31-2019, 09:20 PM)Guest Wrote: Same here, met with my chair today for this purpose. I think the general consensus is it's worth it to meet with your chair, lay out your wishes, and let them act as they see fit.

Beyond being 'worth it,' it is expected. 
You can be totally truthful by saying "I'd be honored to match at home, but also have X, Y, Z in mind as other potential great matches." 

Just as you don't want to burn bridges in this small community, neither will your PD or Chair. They will give you their support, you need only ask.
I agree. I also had this problem and felt very weird about asking my home chair to reach out to places. I met with him and said I would be so happy here but there are a few programs I am also very interested in and I was wondering if you would be willing to reach out for me. It went extremely well and I left the conversation feeling very positive. It feels uncomfortable, but is totally normal, and they probably want what’s truly best for you whether that’s staying or not and will be happy to help you either way.
How much do chair phone calls matter? I’m sure they can help get interviews if you did not get an invite at somewhere you are interested, but not sure how much these calls matter after interviews with regards to a program’s rank list.
Quick question guys, I’ve gotten mixed opinions about letting chairs/PDs know that they’re going to be the number one rank. Some attendings/PDs says it’s not the right thing to do. I could express my interest without being explicit and I’m sort of having a hard time figuring out the right thing to do. Will appreciate any thoughts on this. On the OPs question, I just asked my chair without even thinking about it and it wasn’t an issue at all.
The only declaration of being the number one choice of an applicant that I believe is when it comes from their home department. Doesn't have to be the chair or pd but it usually is. You can tell me and I'll smile and say awesome but the sad fact is some people don't get the cost of lying in a small field. People hold grudges. That being said it doesn't affect our ranking at all except maybe help us predict who we are getting. We rank by who we want the most not by who we think we will likely get.
(02-01-2019, 07:35 AM)doctorK Wrote:
(01-31-2019, 09:20 PM)Guest Wrote: Same here, met with my chair today for this purpose. I think the general consensus is it's worth it to meet with your chair, lay out your wishes, and let them act as they see fit.

Beyond being 'worth it,' it is expected. 
You can be totally truthful by saying "I'd be honored to match at home, but also have X, Y, Z in mind as other potential great matches." 

Just as you don't want to burn bridges in this small community, neither will your PD or Chair. They will give you their support, you need only ask.

Agree. As long as you were actually liked, your own chair and/or PD should want to help you if you are honest with them. 

Additionally, only tell a program they are #1 if they are your #1. If you are noted to have lied, you will be on the shit list. Certainly on that of the program you told, but also possibly at your own home program if they hear of your lie. Neurosurgery is too small of a field and people will talk.

(02-01-2019, 11:49 AM)Guest Wrote: How much do chair phone calls matter? I’m sure they can help get interviews if you did not get an invite at somewhere you are interested, but not sure how much these calls matter after interviews with regards to a program’s rank list.

These calls matter. If (1) your chair or PD are connected, (2) they are calling someone they have a close relationship with, and (3) they have only good things to say - it will 100% help.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)