Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Programs with Low Research Requirements
Hi friends,

Just wondering which programs out there have minimal research requirements for residents. Essentially, I'm looking for a program that will allow me to operate as much as possible without the imposed research requirements (e.g. >2 publications per year, 24 months in PGY5-6, etc). Obviously, operative autonomy and research experience are not mutually exclusive, but curious if there is a list out there with programs that really allow residents to hone their surgical skills preferentially over their research/academic skills (especially if you're a PhD with more research than the average person could care for). Would be nice to get some resident input!

- Programs with zero research requirement (does this exist?).
- Academic programs with low research reqs.
- Academic programs with med/high research reqs.

Disclaimer: I have a few pubs and have really enjoyed research but realize that it's not something I really want to devote my 30s-50s to. Thanks in advance, all!
(02-16-2019, 10:30 PM)xxxTentorium Wrote: Hi friends,

Just wondering which programs out there have minimal research requirements for residents. Essentially, I'm looking for a program that will allow me to operate as much as possible without the imposed research requirements (e.g. >2 publications per year, 24 months in PGY5-6, etc). Obviously, operative autonomy and research experience are not mutually exclusive, but curious if there is a list out there with programs that really allow residents to hone their surgical skills preferentially over their research/academic skills (especially if you're a PhD with more research than the average person could care for). Would be nice to get some resident input!

- Programs with zero research requirement (does this exist?).
- Academic programs with low research reqs.
- Academic programs with med/high research reqs.

Disclaimer: I have a few pubs and have really enjoyed research but realize that it's not something I really want to devote my 30s-50s to. Thanks in advance, all!

Tennessee
You'll have a hard time getting away from research completely in residency. Some places that don't have stringent research requirements are Cincinnati, Temple, Tennessee, Louisville, USF, although some might have changed since I've interviewed.
(02-17-2019, 12:41 PM)Guest Wrote: You'll have a hard time getting away from research completely in residency. Some places that don't have stringent research requirements are Cincinnati, Temple, Tennessee, Louisville, USF, although some might have changed since I've interviewed.

I'm a PGY1 at one of those programs. Very true.
Wow very helpful comments, thanks fam.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)