Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2 Average
High Powered Southern Program - Looking for Sub-I's
Hey y'all,

Resident here from University of Alabama-Birmingham.

Pretty stellar and busy program. If there are any students out there trying to get Sub-I spots here who will really give it their all and have some kind of sincere connection with the area. (read: q2 call style). We have a program that has been extraordinarily busy with very little fluff, I have been very satisfied.

Feel free to praise/burn UAB below, and I can confirm/dispel myths/truths etc. PM me with interest.
(03-20-2019, 02:09 PM)skullcap Wrote: Hey y'all,

Pretty stellar and busy program. If there are any students out there trying to get Sub-I spots here who will really give it their all and have some kind of sincere connection with the area. (read: q2 call style). We have a program that has been extraordinarily busy with very little fluff, I have been very satisfied.

Feel free to praise/burn UAB below, and I can confirm/dispel myths/truths etc. PM me with interest.

Which board review book do you guys use?  I figured, not knowing how to read and all, there must be something out there with good pictures since you somehow pass.
(03-20-2019, 02:17 PM)Guest Wrote:

Which board review book do you guys use?  I figured, not knowing how to read and all, there must be something out there with good pictures since you somehow pass.

Not a bad burn.

But let me just sublimate that joke into something helpful. -- There is a larger than expected (at least than I expected) percentage of our patient population in Alabama that is illiterate. I have encountered multiple situations where consenting is difficult and learning how to communicate the gravity of a medical condition to an illiterate patient and their loved ones is a monthly, if not weekly occurrence at our program. It is a hardship that can make you a better physician/surgeon if you embrace it. 

We like to say that we take care of patients who live under the bridge, who helped build the bridge, who drive over the bridge, and the person the bridge is named after. (We take care of all walks of life at UAB, we do not have a "private insurance" hospital and a "community" hospital. We see everyone regardless, illiterate or not.
(03-20-2019, 02:29 PM)skullcap Wrote:

Not a bad burn.

But let me just sublimate that joke into something helpful. -- There is a larger than expected (at least than I expected) percentage of our patient population in Alabama that is illiterate. I have encountered multiple situations where consenting is difficult and learning how to communicate the gravity of a medical condition to an illiterate patient and their loved ones is a monthly, if not weekly occurrence at our program. It is a hardship that can make you a better physician/surgeon if you embrace it. 

We like to say that we take care of patients who live under the bridge, who helped build the bridge, who drive over the bridge, and the person the bridge is named after. (We take care of all walks of life at UAB, we do not have a "private insurance" hospital and a "community" hospital. We see everyone regardless, illiterate or not.

I am a current resident. I just wanted to say - that is an awesome response to the prior post which was classy. well done sir/ma'am.
For a patient who sired his own nephew, do you write "father" or "uncle" on the consent for relationship?
Can you call yourself 'high-powered' if you're actively scouting for SubI's on an internet message board?

.....I'm asking for a friend.
(03-20-2019, 05:36 PM)Guest Wrote: Can you call yourself 'high-powered' if you're actively scouting for SubI's on an internet message board?

Do I have to go to a top school to understand whether it’s the OP or the poster above that has more class?
(03-20-2019, 05:36 PM)Guest Wrote: Can you call yourself 'high-powered' if you're actively scouting for SubI's on an internet message board?

Dude, quiet. This board is need of the genuine content this resident and others can provide.
(03-20-2019, 03:19 PM)Guest Wrote:

Not a bad burn.

I am a current resident. I just wanted to say - that is an awesome response to the prior post which was classy. well done sir/ma'am.

Agree with above; strong work skullcap. FWIW I've heard good things about the experience at this program too. Potential sub-Is should do their own digging but I think it's awesome that skullcap is psyched about his/her program and wants to share that experience with potential minions.

-TT
(03-20-2019, 07:39 PM)TimeTraveler Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 03:19 PM)Guest Wrote:

Not a bad burn.

Agree with above; strong work skullcap. FWIW I've heard good things about the experience at this program too. Potential sub-Is should do their own digging but I think it's awesome that skullcap is psyched about his/her program and wants to share that experience with potential minions.

-TT

+1 thanks to OP for this. Current MS3 but heard great things about program. UAB seemed to match their home students well this year too.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)