Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for away rotations at Pitt and Buffalo
Hey guys!

I hope all is well, I was able to secure away rotations at Buffalo and Pitt, does anyone have any advice on how to kill them? I need to do well to make up for lacking parts of my applications (per the advice of students on here).
A bit about me- HP almost all rotations except surgery and OBwhich were a P(evals were all H, shelf kills me), 225 step and 14 pubs with posters/presentations (8 written)

I appreciate all the advice, you guys always have words of wisdom here so anything is great! I know that I need to kill step 2 so I'm taking that before I start my away rotations.
At Buffalo be well read for your cases, that’s where almost all the pumping and assessing if your knowledge went on, and be ready to be called on during grand rounds in front of the entire department to answer questions. We didn’t have any patient care responsibilities in terms of pre rounding and presenting except for while on Peds but I understand that may change. I didn’t work with either of the current 6’s so their style very well may be different than this years chiefs.
Ask about specific tasks to help with i.e. can j print a list for you rather than can I help. Show up 5 minutes before on time. Hunt for a case report. Know your anatomy. Display social intelligence such as don't chat up the scrub nurse when the resident is struggling and don't ask questions when the attending is clipping an aneurysm. Wait for a natural pause like whena screw is being waited on. Remember that not all surgeons are interested in teaching to the same degree. The ones who are quick to teach and pimp are also the ones most likely to speak up and be listened to in rank meetings.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)