Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UF vs Miami
Currently deciding between these two locations to rotate in August. I'm unfamiliar with the reputation of these two programs (and southeast programs in general) and would welcome any advice
Miami
Florida
UF: great basic science research, tons of funding. Duane Mitchell has a very well funded tumor lab, Hoh does a lot of basic CV research. Residents don't get worked too hard and have a good life outside the OR. Volume and resident autonomy is nothing special. Gainesville is a small city in the middle of nowhere. Residents were all nice, cool people.

Miami: high volume program. Big name faculty (Wang, Morcos, Heros, Komotar). Residents are worked much harder, more scut work involved. Basic science is not as great as UF, they've lost a couple of the research faculty recently. Residents are great there as well.

Do UF if you're interested in basic science and don't mind living in a small town. Miami if you're looking for higher volume and don't mind putting in long hours.
UF has a higher doximity ranking so I'm guessing its reputation is probably seen as more prestigious
(04-05-2019, 02:18 PM)Guest Wrote: UF has a higher doximity ranking so I'm guessing its reputation is probably seen as more prestigious

Not by a significant amount though. I think both are great, choose based on where you'd want to live for a month (or 7 years potentially).
To be a little more pragmatic in answering the question : I think a solid performance on a UF SubI would go farther towards getting you a spot in March compared to UMiami. Atleast for the few years around the time I was applying, a number of people did SubIs there combined with their own applicants, so even if you SubI'd there you were 1 of 20 people that they would be seriously considering vs. UF which typically had fewer trying to go into NSU/SubI's.

^^^ This may have been a fluke just for my application time, but just some food for thought
(04-05-2019, 04:04 PM)Guest Wrote: To be a little more pragmatic in answering the question : I think a solid performance on a UF SubI would go farther towards getting you a spot in March compared to UMiami. Atleast for the few years around the time I was applying, a number of people did SubIs there combined with their own applicants, so even if you SubI'd there you were 1 of 20 people that they would be seriously considering vs. UF which typically had fewer trying to go into NSU/SubI's.

^^^ This may have been a fluke just for my application time, but just some food for thought

That is something to consider. At the same time that is the case with any high volume Sub-I program like Pitt, UW, UCSF, etc. Don't shy from competition in an attempt to standout. Letters from either place are generally positive and will help you.

Consider your subspecialty of interest, or where your home faculty are well connected. If you're interested in radiosurgery or functional go with UF. Miami is historically one of the best programs for trauma. Also probably stronger than UF in spine.
(04-05-2019, 11:35 AM)Guest Wrote: Currently deciding between these two locations to rotate in August. I'm unfamiliar with the reputation of these two programs (and southeast programs in general) and would welcome any advice

If you're considering programs in Florida these are the premier two. USF is solid as well. I'm assuming you're interested in the southeast, so I'd recommend looking at Emory and UAB as well.
(04-05-2019, 04:04 PM)Guest Wrote: To be a little more pragmatic in answering the question : I think a solid performance on a UF SubI would go farther towards getting you a spot in March compared to UMiami. Atleast for the few years around the time I was applying, a number of people did SubIs there combined with their own applicants, so even if you SubI'd there you were 1 of 20 people that they would be seriously considering vs. UF which typically had fewer trying to go into NSU/SubI's.

This was changed at Miami last year. They usually took 25+ sub-i's and only interviewed half, last year they only took 11 and interviewed everyone. 2 out of the 3 that matched their did a sub-i. A sub-i there goes a long way now.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)