Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chillest Programs? Most Malignant Programs?
Any input?
Everyone has a different definition of malignant based on attrition, work hours, faculty-resident collegiality, etc. Every neurosurgery program is difficult. The places where people are friendly and residents were happy were Barrow, Wisconsin, Florida, UCSD, CU, Michigan, Ohio State.
what's CU
(04-07-2019, 02:29 PM)Guest Wrote: what's CU

Colorado.
(04-07-2019, 02:17 PM)Guest Wrote: Everyone has a different definition of malignant based on attrition, work hours, faculty-resident collegiality, etc. Every neurosurgery program is difficult. The places where people are friendly and residents were happy were Barrow, Wisconsin, Florida, UCSD, CU, Michigan, Ohio State.

Agree those are generally chiller places

Some harder working places (i wouldn't say malignant which to me implies systemic abuse): USC, UCSF, Pitt, Jeff, Miami, Mt Sinai, UW
(04-07-2019, 04:20 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-07-2019, 02:17 PM)Guest Wrote: Everyone has a different definition of malignant based on attrition, work hours, faculty-resident collegiality, etc. Every neurosurgery program is difficult. The places where people are friendly and residents were happy were Barrow, Wisconsin, Florida, UCSD, CU, Michigan, Ohio State.

Agree those are generally chiller places

Some harder working places (i wouldn't say malignant which to me implies systemic abuse): USC, UCSF, Pitt, Jeff, Miami, Mt Sinai, UW

Second this list. The only true red flags that would signal a program is malignant imo is 1) years without any graduating resident (or significant drop off like 1 graduating resident for a 3/yr program) 2) attrition rates greater than national average 3) back filling regularly
I can attest that both Colorado and UW-Madison are chill programs. Resnick/ Dempsey and Lillehei were very kind during sub-I's and the residents seemed to like them.

During my month at UW, I recall two instances in clinic where Dempsey's patients told him he has the absolute best bedside manners of any doctor they have ever met. And he really did. Too bad he's retiring soon, but seriously his mannerisms made me rethink what it meant to be a surgeon and human. Very inspiring individual. And Resnick was just cool, and way more chill than I imaged.

As for malignant, possibly stay away from Providence MI cause their residents did not like the PD and chair at all. He also talked about retiring soon, so that will change things, hopefully fo the better. First day I met him, he greeted me with a racist joke in front of a clinic patient and ancillary staff. I was like damn! No sir, Osama was not my uncle lol
How is UCSD in terms of malignancy?
(05-06-2019, 05:45 AM)Guest Wrote: How is UCSD in terms of malignancy?

Chill
(05-06-2019, 07:46 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-06-2019, 05:45 AM)Guest Wrote: How is UCSD in terms of malignancy?

Chill

how many students per rotation?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)