Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Endovascular fellowship after vascular neurology
Hey guys,
Not sure if you remember me, I'm the FMG kid who had posted a year back about being interested in NSG. (Did a US rotation finished CK, CS etc - still love it),

That being said I'm (from a financial stand point) afraid to attempt this NSG thing because all my reasearch opportunities are unpaid for the first 6 months which is not something I can manage to support myself on.

So I would love to hear your thoughts and conduct a mini survey of sorts to help me choose. If you guys were in my position what would you pick if you couldn't have a straightforward route to NSG ?

1) NSG and NSG only because that's how it should be if you truly love it (insert dramatic music)
2) Neurology f/b Vascular f/b the endovascular thing a few places seem to offer because that comes the closest to being an NSG
3)Weird alternative option : IM f/b GI :  I know it's not the brain but there's still scopes and advanced endoscopy to whet my procedural appetite and some cool research potential in esophageal motility disorders etc

Would love to hear your opinions , please vote. (Ofc i will use my own brain to come to the final decision,  but still..)

Thank you Smile
(04-08-2019, 12:54 AM)Guest Wrote: Hey guys,
Not sure if you remember me, I'm the FMG kid who had posted a year back about being interested in NSG. (Did a US rotation finished CK, CS etc - still love it),

That being said I'm (from a financial stand point) afraid to attempt this NSG thing because all my reasearch opportunities are unpaid for the first 6 months which is not something I can manage to support myself on.

So I would love to hear your thoughts and conduct a mini survey of sorts to help me choose. If you guys were in my position what would you pick if you couldn't have a straightforward route to NSG ?

1) NSG and NSG only because that's how it should be if you truly love it (insert dramatic music)
2) Neurology f/b Vascular f/b the endovascular thing a few places seem to offer because that comes the closest to being an NSG
3)Weird alternative option : IM f/b GI :  I know it's not the brain but there's still scopes and advanced endoscopy to whet my procedural appetite and some cool research potential in esophageal motility disorders etc

Would love to hear your opinions , please vote. (Ofc i will use my own brain to come to the final decision,  but still..)

Thank you Smile

Honestly? GI, IF you think you can match at an academic IM program that would allow you to match GI (keep in mind that it's by far and away the most competitive IM fellowship, and it's not even close). I could never do an IM residency and I hated every second of medicine during third and fourth year but if you could actually pull it off you'd likely be happy in the end. My older brother finished GI fellowship and they do some cool shit - bleeders, advanced endoscopy/imaging w ERCP/EUS, cryotherapy/radiofrequency ablation. They act much more like a surgical consult service than a primary one with short rounds and lots of procedures. They make an insane amount of money (similar to surgical subs) with a great job market and have a really good lifestyle since you can kick a lot of stuff to gen surg. 

Neurology would obviously be much closer to NSG content-wise but the lack of procedures/interventions made it a non-starter for me. It would basically be like medicine - prescribing pills and having tons of clinic, just for patients with neurological problems. Endovascular intervention has basically been taken over by NSG. NSG is obviously the best field but would be very very difficult for you to match into and you'd likely lose a lot of years and tons of money. Best of luck with everything.
+1 GI
If you really want it, 6 months unpaid is not a problem. I come from no money and I don't mean to sound ignorant, but there are ways to get a loan. Thing is whether you want to deal with the struggle. Yes, as an IMG you might need 2-3 years and a great application, but it's not as hard as many people portray it. I always think that these people simply don't want to go through the struggle that's required. And there's no shame in that. So I can only speak for me, who loves nsg, go for this great field. You have 30-40 years of practice ahead of you.
(04-15-2019, 06:44 PM)Guest Wrote: If you really want it, 6 months unpaid is not a problem. I come from no money and I don't mean to sound ignorant, but there are ways to get a loan. Thing is whether you want to deal with the struggle. Yes, as an IMG you might need 2-3 years and a great application, but it's not as hard as many people portray it. I always think that these people simply don't want to go through the struggle that's required. And there's no shame in that. So I can only speak for me, who loves nsg, go for this great field. You have 30-40 years of practice ahead of you.

Are you an IMG speaking from experience about how ‘not as hard as many people portray it’
(04-15-2019, 06:44 PM)Guest Wrote: If you really want it, 6 months unpaid is not a problem. I come from no money and I don't mean to sound ignorant, but there are ways to get a loan. Thing is whether you want to deal with the struggle. Yes, as an IMG you might need 2-3 years and a great application, but it's not as hard as many people portray it. I always think that these people simply don't want to go through the struggle that's required. And there's no shame in that. So I can only speak for me, who loves nsg, go for this great field. You have 30-40 years of practice ahead of you.

I am the OP, I would  really like to speak to someone who is already on this path. If you don't mind is there some way we can communicate?

You can send me an email to gyrating.hippocampus@gmail.com if you're up for a chat, would really appreciate some guidance !

Thank you !

(04-08-2019, 01:37 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 12:54 AM)Guest Wrote: Hey guys,

Thank you Smile

Honestly? GI, IF you think you can match at an academic IM program that would allow you to match GI (keep in mind that it's by far and away the most competitive IM fellowship, and it's not even close). I could never do an IM residency and I hated every second of medicine during third and fourth year but if you could actually pull it off you'd likely be happy in the end. My older brother finished GI fellowship and they do some cool shit - bleeders, advanced endoscopy/imaging w ERCP/EUS, cryotherapy/radiofrequency ablation. They act much more like a surgical consult service than a primary one with short rounds and lots of procedures. They make an insane amount of money (similar to surgical subs) with a great job market and have a really good lifestyle since you can kick a lot of stuff to gen surg. 

Neurology would obviously be much closer to NSG content-wise but the lack of procedures/interventions made it a non-starter for me. It would basically be like medicine - prescribing pills and having tons of clinic, just for patients with neurological problems. Endovascular intervention has basically been taken over by NSG. NSG is obviously the best field but would be very very difficult for you to match into and you'd likely lose a lot of years and tons of money. Best of luck with everything.
Thank you so much for your detailed reply! I have a few nsg pubs in the pipeline (will have to figure out a way to explain those
) and none in GI but my scores are competitive and I actually have a couple of IM LORs ready (just in case). Tbh I am pretty confident of matching into IM programs with in house GI fellowship and then the goal will be just to worm my way into that fellowship lol

The hard thing is to make peace with the choice !

Thanks again for your inputs, GI does seem like the saner thing to do
I have nothing to add other than I got a good laugh out of gyrating hippocampus.
(05-16-2019, 03:57 PM)Guest Wrote: I have nothing to add other than I got a good laugh out of gyrating hippocampus.

I am glad i made you laugh Cool
Maybe if you could also vote on gi vs nsg ? Thank you
vardenafil 40mg
I have seen several FMG's make it into NSG by busting their ass doing research for several years for programs, and I've also seen several FMG's NOT get into NSG after those years.

My personal backup plan was neuro IR through rads, because I didn't have the luxury of gambling several years on getting into neurosurgery. Neurologists seem to have a very bad rap as neurointerventionalists, however it is by far the most attainable path for an FMG, IMO. If you are risk averse and really only want to do neuro work, that's probably what I would do. I know there are many rural hospitals absolutely dying for a neurointerventionalist and would undoubtedly take someone neurology trained.

If you're happy doing butt scopes and think that's an attainable goal, then go for it. I personally only wanted to do neuro related work. Also, I don't know how likely it is for an FMG to get GI, I hear it's very competitive these days. Just food for thought.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)