Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NSG but hate gen surg?
I'm a third year medical student planning on going to neurosurgery but currently hating general surgery rotation and will probably not honor. I loved my neurology and neurosurgery rotations earlier on in the year and have a great relationship with the NSG department. Is it okay to hate surgery but still want to do neurosurgery or should I jump ship to neurology?
(04-16-2019, 08:54 PM)aza3 Wrote: I'm a third year medical student planning on going to neurosurgery but currently hating general surgery rotation and will probably not honor. I loved my neurology and neurosurgery rotations earlier on in the year and have a great relationship with the NSG department. Is it okay to hate surgery but still want to do neurosurgery or should I jump ship to neurology?

I hated general surgery and only passed the rotation, i'd rather eat glass than deal with colostomies and gall bladders. Neurosurgery couldn't be more different from general surgery in every facet. I matched fine and currently love my life.
Seconded. Love neurosurg, but would rather be a radiologist than do butt surgery and choles. Got HP on surg, still matched.
It begs the question what do you hate about it but moving gen surg is not a requirement.
(04-17-2019, 06:12 AM)Focus Wrote: It begs the question what do you hate about it but moving gen surg is not a requirement.

Anatomy and procedures were uninteresting, residents were burnt out and not interested in teaching.
(04-17-2019, 06:29 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 06:12 AM)Focus Wrote: It begs the question what do you hate about it but moving gen surg is not a requirement.

Anatomy and procedures were uninteresting, residents were burnt out and not interested in teaching.

Did you like other surgical rotations? As a caution while your department may be one of the few islands of good feels the sad fact is that burnout and lack of teaching interest are endemic in neurosurgery as well. Don't be surprised if you are horrified by it on an away subi. I was and it made me question my interest in neurosurgery. Fortunately my second away subi was a much more positive culture.
It's absolutely ok. I hated my gen surg rotation and love neurosurgery as a resident.
(04-17-2019, 08:27 AM)Focus Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 06:29 AM)Guest Wrote:

Did you like other surgical rotations? As a caution while your department may be one of the few islands of good feels the sad fact is that burnout and lack of teaching interest are endemic in neurosurgery as well. Don't be surprised if you are horrified by it on an away subi. I was and it made me question my interest in neurosurgery. Fortunately my second away subi was a much more positive culture.

The only other surgical rotations I've done is cardiothoracic surgery(2 weeks) and urology(1 week). I liked both.

My home program is one of the friendlier ones.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)