Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best letters?
MS3 here. Have the scores, research, and dead set on Neurosurgery. Looking to go to a larger research center.

From what I have gathered, the name on LOR often matters more than the exact content of the letter. For example, a mediocre letter from Lawton is more turns more heads than an excellent letter from a neurosurgeon who isn't well known.

Are there any programs that have both? Generally a well-known surgeon with lots of connections as well as a track record for strong letters?
This is not true. A mediocre letter from a respected colleague sinks you more if anything. The issue is that you have no idea who I respect and who I don't respect. Some top program chairmen have consistently written glowing letters on students that I have found would not fit at my program. I weight their recommendations less. Pick based on places that will give you perspective and where you might want to train.
To add to what has already been said, a "track record for strong letters" doesn't really make sense to me IMO. If you do well, no matter where you go, you will get a strong letter.

Also a mediocre letter or god-forbid a bad letter is much much much worse than a glowing letter from someone I don't know.

tl;dr : ditto what Focus said
(04-18-2019, 10:53 PM)Guest Wrote: MS3 here. Have the scores, research, and dead set on Neurosurgery. Looking to go to a larger research center.

From what I have gathered, the name on LOR often matters more than the exact content of the letter. For example, a mediocre letter from Lawton is more turns more heads than an excellent letter from a neurosurgeon who isn't well known.

Are there any programs that have both? Generally a well-known surgeon with lots of connections as well as a track record for strong letters?

In addition to what's said above^^. Some big name chairs may write glowing letters, but they may do so for everyone so it ends up not meaning so much. Some may have a track record of being harsh in their letters, but getting a good letter from them then means a lot. It's almost impossible to predict this stuff when choosing sub-i's. Especially because the personal relationships between chairs/PDs are so variable.

The only thing i'd say is if you want to match at a large research center than it would help to have letters from chairs of large research centers. Personally, I did one of my sub-I's at a notoriously high volume program with not much emphasis on research, and I could tell when interviewing at similar programs that my doing well at that particular program meant more to them than others. So if you're looking to match at a research-heavy program like a Michigan, Columbia, Stanford, etc. it would help to sub-i at similar programs.
Let's get away from the notion that letters are mutually exclusive in terms of big-name writer and letter content. You can have your cake and eat it too in my experience. Sure there are some people who typically write two-three sentence rec letters (Berger, Brem) and you should approach them with a certain strategy i.e. meet them early in the rotation, go to their clinic if possible, etc.

Generally, you'll get a decent letter if you performed at the expected level during the Sub-I and didn't botch anything. Meet the intended letter writer personally for 15-20 minutes, give them a copy of your CV and personal statement.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)