Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
houston
Was looking into the houston programs - I have a lot of family there and am interested in potentially moving back. Heard UT Houston was malignant AF but don't know if that's true. Looked into Methodist but it seems like they are missing a lot of residents. No PGY-5s, only 1 chief, a couple others missing in a 3/year program. Anyone know what's up with that? My home chair said the faculty is super sketchy there. Should I just look into Baylor?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks
(05-08-2019, 08:42 PM)Guest Wrote: Was looking into the houston programs - I have a lot of family there and am interested in potentially moving back. Heard UT Houston was malignant AF but don't know if that's true. Looked into Methodist but it seems like they are missing a lot of residents. No PGY-5s, only 1 chief, a couple others missing in a 3/year program. Anyone know what's up with that? My home chair said the faculty is super sketchy there. Should I just look into Baylor?

Baylor is the best option although the operative experience is lacking because of the amount of ICU coverage you'll have to do. I wouldn't Sub-I at the other places. If you're interested in Texas, UTSW is the best option b/c Batjer writes great letters and the OR time is heavy.
(05-09-2019, 11:21 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 08:42 PM)Guest Wrote: Was looking into the houston programs - I have a lot of family there and am interested in potentially moving back. Heard UT Houston was malignant AF but don't know if that's true. Looked into Methodist but it seems like they are missing a lot of residents. No PGY-5s, only 1 chief, a couple others missing in a 3/year program. Anyone know what's up with that? My home chair said the faculty is super sketchy there. Should I just look into Baylor?

Baylor is the best option although the operative experience is lacking because of the amount of ICU coverage you'll have to do. I wouldn't Sub-I at the other places. If you're interested in Texas, UTSW is the best option b/c Batjer writes great letters and the OR time is heavy.

Those kind of responses readers should avoid. I presume the poster is a clueless resident or an aspiring med student. UTSW is not the best option and it's just a dead program that revived when Batjer joined- to retire there- then back to death soon. Batjer doesn't write great letters. There is a difference between long letters and great letters. Batjer does use code words in his letters though.
(05-13-2019, 12:35 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 11:21 AM)Guest Wrote:

Those kind of responses readers should avoid. I presume the poster is a clueless resident or an aspiring med student. UTSW is not the best option and it's just a dead program that revived when Batjer joined- to retire there- then back to death soon. Batjer doesn't write great letters. There is a difference between long letters and great letters. Batjer does use code words in his letters though.

If I am a med student then who are you? the neurosurgery god? You're probably butter that UTSW didnt take you
butter indeed
This is from a few years ago so I don't know how it is now. UT Houston I thought was a great experience. Operatively heavy for Sub-I's. Rotated on Spine, Chief service (Kim/Day) peds/functional, and maybe an elective. My time there was great in that I was able to scrub with the operating resident for the majority of the case until an attending came for the critical portion of the procedure. Although there are some malignant characters there it wasn't any worse than any other place. It can be a bit tough for the residents there, but most seemed happy enough. I cannot comment on Methodist or Baylor, but I have heard great things from medical students from my institution who rotated there or medical students from there who interviewed. UTSW is also a great program to Sub I. Batjer is a nice guy and does write good letters. Along the same lines as Yosher, Day, and Kim. All fairly generic but it's good to have their letter. It's all about name... at least that my impression from reading LOR's for the last fews years. (Almost every big name person writes the same thing for everyone)

Again, as has been mentioned in other posts as a SUB-I your job is to show up, be present and attentive and answer the few questions that are asked of you. No one is expecting you to be good at operating... Because you won't be. No one expects you to function like a resident/intern... because you're not. This is an opportunity to get an inside look at the specialty. Once you match you will realize that there is no comparison for your SUB-I to how it's like being an actual resident. Which is good.

Enjoy your time where ever you go. Be attentive, watch what others do, enjoy the people you meet along the way. Go to places you think you may want to go to places you just want to live for a month. I did that and I enjoyed my rotations. I met some great people who I still keep in touch with.

Hope this helps
butter indeed

U margarine bro?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)