Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the "Low Tier" programs
I'm a recent convert to neurosurgery. I only have 2 research experiences and no pubs. I've done well in 3rd year and have a 245 on Step 1 (haven't taken step 2 yet). I go to a DO school. 

As you can see, I have a lot working against me. 

I am wondering what are the 'Low tier" programs and/or programs that consider DO's that I should do Sub-I's at. I plan to do 5 sub-i's and bust my butt to impress because I know based on my stats I won't get many interviews but it's going to be based on good sub-i's. . Oh and I am in the SouthEast of the US but I am willing to go literally anywhere in the US.  

Thanks in advance
How many times have you posted this?
There are actually some programs that are only made up of Osteopathic Doctors (see below) There are few programs for neurosurgery compared to other fields. It may be worth it to make an excel sheet of all the programs in the nation and their stats and decide which you feel competitive enough to apply for. Also, PDs have told me that your research output can overcome what school you're from. So taking a research year is always recommended if you're not sure if you can match your first try.

https://desertregionalgme.com/desert-reg...y-program/

https://www.advocatehealth.com/bromenn/p...-residents

Hope this message wasn't too late!
245 is average for neurosurgery. Most programs do not consider DO graduates. Your best shot would be to do always at previous AOA programs and impress them and go on to match there. It is going to be an almost insurmountable barrier for you at traditionally md programs without being 260+ , heavy research , and amazing away performance.
Average last year was a 243 according to the AAMC
(02-23-2020, 05:47 PM)Guest Wrote: Average last year was a 243 according to the AAMC

243.7 was the average, the median however was 245. The average person matching had more research experiences than OP, Also the average person came from an MD school not DO. Not sure if you are OP, but the point was that OP's score is not going to open any additional doors for OP considering OP has the hinderance of no home program and a DO degree.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)