Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the "Low Tier" programs
I'm a recent convert to neurosurgery. I only have 2 research experiences and no pubs. I've done well in 3rd year and have a 245 on Step 1 (haven't taken step 2 yet). I go to a DO school. 

As you can see, I have a lot working against me. 

I am wondering what are the 'Low tier" programs and/or programs that consider DO's that I should do Sub-I's at. I plan to do 5 sub-i's and bust my butt to impress because I know based on my stats I won't get many interviews but it's going to be based on good sub-i's. . Oh and I am in the SouthEast of the US but I am willing to go literally anywhere in the US.  

Thanks in advance
(05-13-2019, 03:13 PM)hubhubhub Wrote: I'm a recent convert to neurosurgery. I only have 2 research experiences and no pubs. I've done well in 3rd year and have a 245 on Step 1 (haven't taken step 2 yet). I go to a DO school. 

As you can see, I have a lot working against me. 

I am wondering what are the 'Low tier" programs and/or programs that consider DO's that I should do Sub-I's at. I plan to do 5 sub-i's and bust my butt to impress because I know based on my stats I won't get many interviews but it's going to be based on good sub-i's. . Oh and I am in the SouthEast of the US but I am willing to go literally anywhere in the US.  

Thanks in advance

I would try to take a research year b/c no publications will sink your app on top of being a DO grad.
Mich St, Inova, Advocate, St. Louis, Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisville, Carilion, SIU, Geisinger, SUNY, Texas A&M

It's not a terrible list. Anything beyond these programs will be tough and probably not possible without a research year.
Geisinger had a ton of IMG's and reapplicants at their interview.
(05-13-2019, 11:19 PM)Guest Wrote: Mich St, Inova, Advocate, St. Louis, Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisville, Carilion, SIU, Geisinger, SUNY, Texas A&M

It's not a terrible list. Anything beyond these programs will be tough and probably not possible without a research year.

dont forget mayo jax, Wayne state, Virginia tech, Ascension Michigan, NYMC
A lot of these programs are newer programs. Time will tell if they are truly low tier. Keep in mind its not automatically easier to match at because its new.
(05-14-2019, 12:27 PM)Guest Wrote: A lot of these programs are newer programs. Time will tell if they are truly low tier. Keep in mind its not automatically easier to match at because its new.

only 2 of them are new. stop with your fake news
whatever
(05-14-2019, 12:27 PM)Guest Wrote: A lot of these programs are newer programs. Time will tell if they are truly low tier. Keep in mind its not automatically easier to match at because its new.

The only one that applies to is Mayo Jax.
Is mayo Jax really that hard to match into? ( apart from there only being one spot)

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)