Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ben Carson?
Anyone feeling any reverberations from the fact that Ben Carson is a neurosurgeon? I’ve heard some people in the public equating his political stupidity to neurosurgery now. Or maybe people are just losing faith in neurosurgery or medicine as a whole in general. Regardless it’s pretty unfortunate
Oreos doe
(05-22-2019, 12:12 PM)Guest Wrote: Anyone feeling any reverberations from the fact that Ben Carson is a neurosurgeon? I’ve heard some people in the public equating his political stupidity to neurosurgery now. Or maybe people are just losing faith in neurosurgery or medicine as a whole in general. Regardless it’s pretty unfortunate

I laugh whenever I hear med students dumping on Ben Carson. When you can separate craniopagus twins let me know. Most of you couldn't even get a Sub-I at his program.
(05-22-2019, 12:57 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 12:12 PM)Guest Wrote: Anyone feeling any reverberations from the fact that Ben Carson is a neurosurgeon? I’ve heard some people in the public equating his political stupidity to neurosurgery now. Or maybe people are just losing faith in neurosurgery or medicine as a whole in general. Regardless it’s pretty unfortunate

I laugh whenever I hear med students dumping on Ben Carson. When you can separate craniopagus twins let me know. Most of you couldn't even get a Sub-I at his program.

Even though this doesn’t address the question at all and deflects to something else... can someone genuinely elaborate about the twins? Wasn’t one left in a coma after the procedure and the other minimally improved? Doesn’t seem like anything to really write home about but I guess the field is weird about their success stories. 

And do students even want to do sub-I’s at Hopkins anymore lol
(05-22-2019, 01:22 PM)Guest Wrote:

Even though this doesn’t address the question at all and deflects to something else... can someone genuinely elaborate about the twins? Wasn’t one left in a coma after the procedure and the other minimally improved? Doesn’t seem like anything to really write home about but I guess the field is weird about their success stories. 

To address your question, no I have not felt any reverberations from the fact that Ben Carson is a neurosurgeon. I have seen several medical students try and draw equivalency between political positions they don't agree with and his intelligence, which is ridiculous. The guy came from absolutely nothing and was able to get himself to Yale, U of M med, and Hopkins neurosurgery at a time when there were substantial racial and economic barriers, eventually becoming a full professor and a big name in our field. 99% of the snarky people talking about "stupidity" are nobodies who will never achieve anything close to his career success.

A lot of patients who underwent clip ligation in the 80s had significant postop deficits too. The fact that he was able to separate them at all in 1987 without a lot of the tools we take for granted today is what got him famous.
whatever
(05-22-2019, 02:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 01:22 PM)Guest Wrote:

To address your question, no I have not felt any reverberations from the fact that Ben Carson is a neurosurgeon. I have seen several medical students try and draw equivalency between political positions they don't agree with and his intelligence, which is ridiculous. The guy came from absolutely nothing and was able to get himself to Yale, U of M med, and Hopkins neurosurgery at a time when there were substantial racial and economic barriers, eventually becoming a full professor and a big name in our field. 99% of the snarky people talking about "stupidity" are nobodies who will never achieve anything close to his career success.

A lot of patients who underwent clip ligation in the 80s had significant postop deficits too. The fact that he was able to separate them at all in 1987 without a lot of the tools we take for granted today is what got him famous.

Very cool perspective thank you!
Unfortunately any opinions of Carson are biased by politics. Hence, you have the right hailing him as a brilliant surgeon/thinker, and you have the left reporting only on how he misheard “Oreo” and purchased expensive furniture. Everyone has an agenda.
Isn't Ben Carson a creationist?
(05-22-2019, 05:01 PM)Guest Wrote: Unfortunately any opinions of Carson are biased by politics. Hence, you have the right hailing him as a brilliant surgeon/thinker, and you have the left reporting only on how he misheard “Oreo” and purchased expensive furniture. Everyone has an agenda.

I don’t think the left only complain about those two things. And even though as neurosurgeons we are highly compensated, 31K for a dining set as a public servant is absurd. Especially when the person who caught this was demoted for speaking up. Regardless of political party we can all agree that he is not qualified for the position he’s now in and has also not done anything meaningful with it.  

Let’s also not forget that in one of his first speeches he claimed that the brain is “incapable of forgetting” and can be “electrically stimulated into perfect recall.” It doesn’t take a neurosurgeon to put two and two together with something like that... 

So ya, I don’t like how he’s negatively affected the perception of this field. Just like how I don’t like the others who have cheated and conned the system to their benefit (this isn’t just limited to insurance fraud either). The only difference is that Carson has a much wider zone of reach and that is scary.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)