Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wayyyy over hours on subinternships (100-110+)
I don't mind as a subintern, but it has me wondering what 7 years will be like. Can anyone else relate?
You have no responsibilities yet. Your residents are there longer and working harder. If this bothers you, I would switch specialties now.
(06-11-2019, 11:12 PM)Guest Wrote: You have no responsibilities yet. Your residents are there longer and working harder. If this bothers you, I would switch specialties now.

+1
Seriously. Quite literally, the only purpose of a Sub-I is to show a program how hard you're willing to work to get into neurosurgery. Those hours are par for the course for our best Sub-Is.
Fwiw I found the hours on some of my subis exceeded those of what I actually do in most of residency.
Old salty dog here. To preface: I am not saying I had it harder, nor am I saying it was the right way. I worked 120+ hours/week my Pgy1-4 years, and a similar but slightly lighter amount my senior on service years. Years 2 and 3 were Q2 call, with no 28-hour limit. I almost did not return after research and electives.

It breaks people. Everyone changes in residency. I have seen many divorces, including my own, directly attributed to the hours and personality changes that occur. Is it worth it? That is a very individual question. I probably suffer from Stockholm syndrome or a sunk cost fallacy, meaning if it wasn’t I wasted my life to get where I am. I will tell you this, though. The 20-something kid version me that applied to neurosurgery would not think it was worth it.
are these hours the norm at most places?
Sweet, thanks, doesn't bother me, will adjust
ditto to what focus said
(06-12-2019, 06:48 AM)Guest Wrote: Old salty dog here.  To preface:  I am not saying I had it harder, nor am I saying it was the right way.  I worked 120+ hours/week my Pgy1-4 years, and a similar but slightly lighter amount my senior on service years.  Years 2 and 3 were Q2 call, with no 28-hour limit.  I almost did not return after research and electives.

It breaks people.  Everyone changes in residency.  I have seen many divorces, including my own, directly attributed to the hours and personality changes that occur.  Is it worth it?  That is a very individual question.  I probably suffer from Stockholm syndrome or a sunk cost fallacy, meaning if it wasn’t I wasted my life to get where I am.  I will tell you this, though. The 20-something kid version me that applied to neurosurgery would not think it was worth it.

Real wisdom right here. For real.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)