Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VA: a positive or negative?
Programs with a VA. Is it an asset to the program or a negative?

pros: Autonomy, spine work.

Cons: government moves slowly, chronic pain
Pros: Spine

Cons: Spine
Attending here, < 5 years out of practice.

I cannot imagine training at a place without a place that gives you the opportunity to see your own patients in the clinic, book their surgeries, take them to the OR, and deal with the consequences. It is what you will do, literally, every day for the rest of your career. VA's and county hospitals tend to have this, but VAs vary in how busy and/or educational they are. Some "flagship" hospitals may have this kind of setup, but it's exceedingly rare.

I would seek out a place that has a VA, but make sure they're doing a reasonable number of cases.
Strongly favor the VA. As stated above it's the only time you are given the chance to make the wrong choices while still having backup to bail you out and what you learn from those failures greatly exceeds doing twice as many cases elsewhere that is more efficient but lacks autonomy. You are the attending. Put on some slacks and a button down if they still fit and no one will even guess otherwise if you play the role.
does this apply to working as a military doctor as well? i am still a med student and considered HPSP for a while... and autonomy is what was promised to me by the recruiter as a surgeon working in the military

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)