Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matching
How does my application look?
Step 1:245
Step 2:247
Research: 4 published manuscripts 
Grades: mostly hp
First authors? Basic science? Medical school tier? Home program?

Just at first glance, you'll match as long as you're realistic.
Two are first author, none are basic science, at a med school ranked about 70 with a home program... how are my chances at matching to a upper to mid tier program?
(07-14-2019, 03:54 PM)Guest Wrote: Two are first author, none are basic science, at a med school ranked about 70 with a home program... how are my chances at matching to a upper to mid tier program?

Didn’t you already post in the WAMC forum?
I don’t think so...
If I apply widely(80-ish) how many invites am I looking at?
(07-14-2019, 04:03 PM)Guest Wrote: I don’t think so...
If I apply widely(80-ish) how many invites am I looking at?

Probably ~20 interviews. You'll most likely match midtier unless your first authors are in high-impact journals. If you're looking for a top program your best bet is SubI at 1-2 top programs and make a good impression. Most of the people that match at top programs are from elite med schools, PhDs, or have substantial research output.
Do you think I’d be able to match at a lower tier program near home or would they not extend me an interview because they assume that with my stats I’d choose elsewhere?
(07-14-2019, 04:24 PM)Guest Wrote: Do you think I’d be able to match at a lower tier program near home or would they not extend me an interview because they assume that with my stats I’d choose elsewhere?

Your stats are average. You'll most likely get interviews from programs in your region unless your SubIs are heavily geographically biased. A classmate of mine only did SubIs on the west coast and we are from an east coast program. The next nearest medical school didn't extend an interview.
Not op but I find it extraordinary that out of about 70 people between 240 and 249 only 5 didn’t match... is it really this simple?

Op here... I’m eyeing about 6 program that are ranked between 35 and 90, and they are relatively close by... considering they are not too competitive, if I were to sub-I at one of them and sub-I at two upper tier programs, are my chances at matching to either those programs nearby or the two top tier ones high?

(07-14-2019, 05:37 PM)Guest Wrote: Not op but I find it extraordinary that out of about 70 people between 240 and 249 only 5 didn’t match... is it really this simple?

Op here... I’m eyeing about 6 program that are ranked between 35 and 90, and they are relatively close by... considering they are not too competitive, if I were to sub-I at one of them and sub-I at two upper tier programs, are my chances at matching to either those programs nearby or the two top tier ones high?
Meant to say “not op here”

(07-14-2019, 05:37 PM)Guest Wrote: Not op but I find it extraordinary that out of about 70 people between 240 and 249 only 5 didn’t match... is it really this simple?

^^wtf

(07-14-2019, 04:46 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-14-2019, 04:24 PM)Guest Wrote: Do you think I’d be able to match at a lower tier program near home or would they not extend me an interview because they assume that with my stats I’d choose elsewhere?

Your stats are average. You'll most likely get interviews from programs in your region unless your SubIs are heavily geographically biased. A classmate of mine only did SubIs on the west coast and we are from an east coast program. The next nearest medical school didn't extend an interview.
What were his stats like? Did he match?

^^wtf

(07-14-2019, 04:46 PM)Guest Wrote:

What were his stats like? Did he match?

Who said they were male?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)