Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Question about likelihood of matching.
Hey All,

So happy I found this site, as it seems like a great resource. 

I just wanted some feedback on my likelihood of actually matching.

I am a US DO student with honors in preclinical years, SSP (honors society) membership, and alot of volunteer work.

My main problem is a 216 on step 1. I know this very, very less than ideal, but it what I have to work with. I just started M-3 and my plan is to crank out good research and kill my rotation scores/Step 2. As far as research goes, I have my own project in the area of pediatric brain cancer I am going to begin working on, and I am applying to any research rotations I can for my elective time this year. I have also been fortunate enough to have two cases on my first rotation that I am publishing studies on.

I'm trying to find any opportunity to make connections in the neurosurgery world, as my school does not have a program. 

I'm remaining optimistic, but my Step 1 score often feels like a fatal blow.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! If there's any other info needed for you to weigh in, don't hesitate to ask.
Ur fucked
(07-29-2019, 11:11 AM)uncle_herniation Wrote: Hey All,

So happy I found this site, as it seems like a great resource. 

I just wanted some feedback on my likelihood of actually matching.

I am a US DO student with honors in preclinical years, SSP (honors society) membership, and alot of volunteer work.

My main problem is a 216 on step 1. I know this very, very less than ideal, but it what I have to work with. I just started M-3 and my plan is to crank out good research and kill my rotation scores/Step 2. As far as research goes, I have my own project in the area of pediatric brain cancer I am going to begin working on, and I am applying to any research rotations I can for my elective time this year. I have also been fortunate enough to have two cases on my first rotation that I am publishing studies on.

I'm trying to find any opportunity to make connections in the neurosurgery world, as my school does not have a program. 

I'm remaining optimistic, but my Step 1 score often feels like a fatal blow.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! If there's any other info needed for you to weigh in, don't hesitate to ask.

It's over.
Yeah not happening buddy
Okay, are these replies simply based on my Step 1 score? Just seeking more reasoning
It's not impossible that you could be a neurosurgeon one day... but it will likely require a year in general surgery prelim, a year or 2 as a pre-residency fellow somewhere, a year or two of real basic science research, and for somebody to get fired or quit their residency spot for you to take it. If neurosurgery is the only thing you are willing to do with your life, it is possible. But with a low Step 1 score you need to have some major thing to make up for it like you're president of AOA at Harvard, or you have 50 publications in JAMA, or the chairman of the department at your home institution is your dad... and unfortunately that's not the case. If you can be happy doing anything else, I recommend you spare yourself the nightmare of not matching and do something where you'll feel welcome and valued from day one rather than kill yourself for the next 5 years just to try to get a spot where the odds are stacked against you.
I wouldn't bother applying. The DO plus <230 step score is fatal. There are plenty of ways to make a positive impact on patients and have a satisfying job outside neurosurgery. Think general surgery, neurology, etc.
Hate to say it, but I agree with the previous posters. Unfortunately, you will be dragged through the system for up to a decade before you will find a spot. It sucks that sheer desire alone doesn't hold more value, but unfortunately they need something to standardize the process.

(1) Step 1 <<< 240
(2) DO applicant
(3) Minimal publications thus far
(4) No home program or neurosurgery connections

Having any one of these three makes Neurosurgery tough and you have all four. Please save yourself the heartbreak.
If its what you really want, try to find DO programs close to you and see if anyone around you has ANY connections to them. If not, reach out and just make it known that youre a hard worker. I know firsthand of an applicant from this past cycle with a sub 220 step 1 who we took because we knew him and he was a hard worker(we being a 'middle tier' MD program).
Thank you everyone for the replies so far. I understand that nobody can know for sure but it helps to hear opinions regardless of what they are. I’m not one to be discouraged or turned away from something I want, so I’m going to continue to work with what I have and do my best from here on out. Hopefully I’ll find someone who’ll be satisfied enough with my work ethic to give me my dream job.

Good luck to everyone going through this year’s cycle!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)