Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working hours in private practise / academic
How many hours on an average would a practising neurosurgeon work?

in private practise?

in academic setting?
(03-26-2017, 12:06 PM)possible noob qn Wrote: How many hours on an average would a practising neurosurgeon work?

in private practise?

in academic setting?

all of them
Academic, I would say attendings do approx 70-80 of clinic + OR and then they seem to some how fit in research on top of that. It varies by the hospital's workload/department size/number of residents, etc.

Private practice I've heard is more like 60, but that's a dying breed these days, at lease in my understanding.
erm....80 hour week is about 13 hours per day? (excluding sunday)?
^gpod math, with skills like that you will get into neurosurgery no doubt.
(03-26-2017, 08:37 PM)Guest Wrote: ^gpod math, with skills like that you will get into neurosurgery no doubt.

With spelling like that, you won't.

Don't be a jerk just because you can hind behind your computer. It's a legitimate question. Based on my experience with PP neurosurgeons, they are working 70-80 hours/week total (clinic+OR). I understand the hours are longer in academics but 70-80 hours of clinic a week is leaves practically no time to operate or do research.
*hide
and when you ask a question and someone else gives you a legitimate answer, don't make it out like they are wrong. Their answer is pretty accurate. Although it does vary from attending to attending, which they also stated.

And also, they aren't saying 80 hours of clinic a week. 80 hours of combined clinic and OR
PP has harder night time call in general and work is almost all clinical. Academics may work a lot of hours but much of the 'extra' is research, mentoring, writing. Different kind of work.
is the money and stress in PP double that of academics?
It totally depends on your position and what you're looking for. 

The lines between academics and practice are also becoming very blurred.  The days of academia with protected research time is pretty rare these days. 

PP - work as much or as little as you want, but you'll get paid for whatever you do.  Obviously, the more you work, the more you're paid.  Also, it is going to depend on whether or not you have a good PA to run the show while you're at home. 

Academics - depends on busy you are, how good your residents are, how much autonomy your residents have, how much research you're doing, etc. 

When I worked in academics I had some weeks where I worked 40 hours and others where I worked 80.  Usually, around 60.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)